What's in the upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies @Searcaigh - you’re also a great Staff Member. I consider you the Scottish cousin of Hans Hass with all your exploratory dives along the Saudi Arabia coast!

Are the "*"ed styles not yet available to red-folk? I've only got Light, Dark, and Dark 2 available in the CP Preferences.

We're working on it, please stand by. The Light/Dark toggle now has a tooltip thanks to @Psychlinks fine work. Also, Dark Narc has been eliminated if favor of the revised ScubaBoard Dark.

1632840104318.png

My apologies @Searcaigh - you’re also a great Staff Member. I consider you the Scottish cousin of Hans Hass with all your exploratory dives along the Saudi Arabia coast
No need to apologise sidique :D

I hope we have an opportunity to dive in Saudi together soon.

@Akimbo

New Dark mode is perfect (for me).

Thanks to the SB team for the site transition and feature upgrades.

Thank you also in advance for chipping away at the extraneous advertisements.

@The Chairman, @Akimbo ,@Miyaru and anyone else who might have influence - might be down the road, but the supporter tags beneath/beside users names, could they be hotlinks to explain what that means for users?

It sounds silly, but it would also be a quick way for users to understand what they mean and may increase awareness.

Doesn't even need to be a page for users to pay, just a link to an faq if you will.

I may have it all wrong in my head, but, the "Reaction Score" seems all but meaningless now given the reaction could've been positive or negative? In my mind the point of the original "Likes" was to, at least in some part, give an idea to others as to ones standing etc within the community, for me as a "seller" it was important. Happy to be corrected if my understanding is incorrect. Cheers.

There are big plans at xenForo for new ways to use reaction scores of individual posts and different types of Reactions in future releases.

Another purpose of ScubaBoard's design/customization of Reactions is to let members express themselves without having to clog up a thread with posts like Thanks, Great idea... (Brilliant), Good analysis... (Bullseye), and :rofl3: (Funny) without adding a lot of posts that everyone else has to scroll through or that show in a New Posts view.

Why cannot I not click on this and get back to the regulator classified screen? Pressing it does nothing and the only way to get to the thread first page is to go back to the beginning from forum select etc etc ...seems unnecessarily clunky so can only assume I'm doing something wrong. Thank you.

Attachments

• D80DEA5A-3A44-4694-8405-3A1ADCFA263C.jpeg
    D80DEA5A-3A44-4694-8405-3A1ADCFA263C.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 26
There's big plans at xenForo for new ways to use reaction scores of individual posts and different types of Reactions in future releases.

Another purpose of ScubaBoard's design/customization of Reactions is to let members express themselves without having to clog up a thread with posts like Thanks, Great idea... (Brilliant), Good analysis... (Bullseye), and :rofl3: (Funny) without adding a lot of posts that everyone else has to scroll through or that show in a New Posts view.
Makes sense. Thank you.

Nice upgrade, thanks for all the hard work keeping this forum running.

one question- is there any plan to add tapatalk support to scubaboard?
I can't really speak for the admins, but they previously have said no. One of the driving factors for moving to xenforo from vbulletin was native mobile support. Also, once the tapatalk plugin gets installed on a forum, it aggressively tries to force mobile users into installing/using the tapatalk app. That effectively eliminates using the native support for anyone who doesn't want to click "cancel" on every single page.

People like the web interface, as well. I'm not a fan of browsing sites on my phone or tablet, but the statistics @The Chairman posted when they first moved indicated that the new interface was wildly more popular than taptalk was.

Also, there's some problem with tapatalk stealing ad revenue from forum owners (not exaggerating, they remove the forum owner's ads and serve up their own). Also, I don't believe tapatalk supports ad-free use for forum subscribers.

Tapatalk has the potential to be nice, but has been ruined by the owners of the product. It would be nice if there were a FOSS alternative, but really the web interface for xenforo isn't awful.

Do you really want people starting to downvote posts?

"Confusing" and "Disagree" do NOT downvotes in terms of a Reaction score. They are intended to let a poster learn what members think of their posts and, hopefully, lead to improvement.

It can also be a guide for inexperienced readers who may not even be divers yet. A post with overwhelmingly positive Reactions or negative Reactions can be helpful for them to figure out the value a post.

I feel bad when people are unhappy with my posts.

We all do, or at least the members like you who are sincerely trying to be helpful. However, Confusing and Disagree provide a learning experience. I know that replies like that have made me better at communication on ScubaBoard.

If they are in the form of a reply, at least I can respond to them. On several occasions those replies have led me to rethink and revise my posts.

We debated this A LOT. In the end we concluded that at least one of the members who reacted with Disagree will reply with their reasons — incorrect information on the Internet is common, but it rarely goes unchallenged on ScubaBoard. We also suspected that many of our less experienced members are too embarrassed to post that they don't understand, but it can be a message to the author to try to be more clear.

Sometimes (often?), all it takes is to add some Hyperlinks to your thread to prevent confusion without writing everything for total newbies. Because you can see the member next to each reaction, you can ask for detail in a reply or a DM if you are concerned.

Back
Top Bottom