What's in the upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had abuse of the old "like" system in the past as well which we as moderators took care of, if anyone sees any abuse please report the post and we will take care of it.

On a personal note, I have OFTEN wanted to downvote a post because I disagreed with it, the disagree option will at least allow folks to get a better idea of how the community feels about a specific post. For example, theres a certain deco "expert" who would have gotten about 1000 disagrees from me over the years. Instead of things turning into a bickering match, its now possible to respond, then disagree with the response to your post then leave it at that. Hopefully that will unlit some of the threads.

Its gonna be a learning curve folks, circumstances forced our hand to roll out early due to old database/server issues that couldn't be worked around anymore.

I’m not a fan. Took the opportunity to disagree with your post about the disagree option. I wish you had just left the like option alone. One click and one meaning. If you disagree with a post it should require a reply.

As a few others have said, this new ‘feature’ could very definitely lead to me posting less.

I can hear it now…

I disagree with your disagreement with the disagreement of….

Crap, I’m already lost.

Does a double disagreement make a positive?

I can hear it now…

I disagree with your disagreement with the disagreement of….

Crap, I’m already lost.

Does a double disagreement make a positive?
If you disagree without being disagreeable, then you’ve disagreed in a positive manner. But I would disagree that this type of disagreement makes a positive. Do you agree, or disagree, with this summery of double disagreement? Please “Disagree” below if so inclined.

There's a different aspect to this whole discussion.

The previous forum software was no longer supported by the developers. That software was only running on system- and webserver software that was also end-of-life. When the board crashed in August, these factors made it hard to repair everything. So while everything seemed to work okay again, there were still some big technical issues.

Fortunately lots of work had already been done on testing the new forum software on a new server, and now that the board has been upgraded, it's stable and all the software required is now supported again.

As for the Likes which are called Reactions in the new board software: the new board comes with several reaction-levels (no matter if we like it or not). Each level gives a score: +1 (like) +2 (really like) 0 (whatever) -1 (disagree). As pointed out by others earlier, that last level is nasty. So the scoring has been changed to 0.

When changes are proposed, there is always a group that doesn't want those changes. Keep it the way it is. Don't break something that isn't broken.
But the old board was broken. In many places, that fortunately wasn't visible on the outside.
It takes time to get used to changes. Take your own time.
Everytime there is an upgrade people have complaints. Change is hard. Even if people don't want to admit it.

I am sure y'all are talking in the backroom about them. Are there more reactions or the ability to have less reactions? By more or less, I mean options for users. I could also just go look on Google myself I suspect. :rofl3:

Ohhh I just noticed when I started to type out :rofl3: a little pop down that showed me emojis I was close to. That's handy.

For example, one of these reactions was positive and the other negative (?) but presumably both get added to Reaction Score, that being the case what's the point of having it? Thank you.
There are no negative reaction points. There are only positive points for the positive reactions and the negative ones like Disagree are neutral, no points added or removed. This helps to avoid personal "flame wars by reactions". You can express disagreement publicly without destroying that person's reputation. The number of positive points becomes the measure you're looking for.

I have mental health issues, which I struggle with daily. I can see how this new thing could stop me from participating... potentially. Guess time will tell. I've always found SB by and large to be a "safe" space. I can see how that could now change.

Quietly nervous...
The Disagree reactions could be disabled entirely if that's what the admins decide is best. Most forums end up just keeping the positive ones.

No one should feel unsafe here. I am going to disable the Disagree reaction for now - if the admins decide they want them, it is easily enabled again. I kept the Confusing reaction because that can be a legitimate response to a post without making it personal, e.g., "I'm not following you here" or "I'm not sure I understand what you're saying in this post".

The Disagree reactions could be disabled entirely if that's what the admins decide is best. Most forums end up just keeping the positive ones.

No one should feel unsafe here. I am going to disable the two neutral reactions for now. If the admins decide they want them, they are easily enabled again.
Thank you. And for taking the time to explain it more clearly to me, much appreciated.

Darn…I was really looking forward to refining my skills at petty arguments and passive aggressive sniping as part of my overall diver proficiency. The Dislike button was going to be a new weapon in my arsenal.

Now I have to actually think, develop real skill proficiency, put words together in a logical, digestible sequence and make an effort to persuade people to understand my position.

This diving stuff is getting hard.

Darn…I was really looking forward to refining my skills at petty arguments and passive aggressive sniping as part of my overall diver proficiency. The Dislike button was going to be a new weapon in my arsenal.

Now I have to actually think, develop real skill proficiency, put words together in a logical, degestible sequence and make an effort to persuade people to understand my position.

To become fully proficient you must skip the reactions and jump straight to name calling and petty insults about one's political affiliations.

Now I have to actually think, develop real skill proficiency, put words together in a logical, degestible sequence and make an effort to persuade people to understand my position.

That is clever, and funny, made me laugh, thank you.

Some people can be dikcs and being able to do so with relative ease is too hard to resist for some. I can tough up on the occasional negative reply etc etc but seeing a thumbs down emoji repeatedly, assuming it ever came to that, would affect me. Not everyone has thick skin. Wish I did.

But thanks to Psychlinks it looks like it may not be something that will need a defense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom