What's in the upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the walls of the Pub are too thin.....
It's the paint you used on the walls, it wasn't low VOC.

That is clever, and funny, made me laugh, thank you.

Some people can be dikcs and being able to do so with relative ease is too hard to resist for some. I can tough up on the occasional negative reply etc etc but seeing a thumbs down emoji repeatedly, assuming it ever came to that, would affect me. Not everyone has thick skin. Wish I did.

But thanks to Psychlinks it looks like it may not be something that will need a defense.

Yeah, the dickiness on SB makes me furrow my brow. I have always thought we would (assumption) or should (moral obligation) be a more polite crowd. I’m on another international forum and it’s truly a different experience (polite, cooperative, people express their opinions without weaponzing them, etc).

I have no use for a place like the Pub, not here or other forums I belong to.

I think we have some super Staff Members and Moderators that do a great job of guiding conversations (based on their experience) and other moderators (the dozen or so of them!) would do well to emulate their approach in the interest of a more consistent experience for users.

In contrast, we have parts of the board that erupt in silly flames and we seem to just sit across the street and watch as folks pass by and shoot gasoline at the flames. It seems like the abundance of Moderators are strangely absent at those moments.

And lastly, in extreme contrast, we have a Moderator who reliably goes straight to censoring innocuous threads and it’s puzzling. I think that Moderator should be dropped. Deleting a series of articulate posts for farting in the general direction of PADI while others bash on GUE is transparently amateur at best. Maybe I’m being too sensitive but I find the petty and lopsided censorship to be insulting.

I’ve come to perceive recently that perpetuating discussion on SB, whether it’s right or wrong, may be allowed and even encouraged for the amount of site traffic it generates. For me, that erodes my respect for the Board’s nobler intentions.

At any rate, hopefully there is a review of Moderator training and best practices as a natural sequence (eventually) to the Board upgrade. I think we need more @Akimbo , @RainPilot , @rsingler , @Wookie ,@Searcaigh and @Lorenzoid on the Board. Also, I think @Kimela would be a great replacement Moderator. I think her emotional intelligence is high, she knows how to deal with conflict and her mind isn’t all cluttered with technical diving.

I know I’d make a terrible Moderator….more Hulk than Dr. Banner and I’d try to convince everybody why they need technical training (sigh…wrong answer). But I strive to be a good virtual citizen here. I do favor building each other up rather than tearing down and am hopeful the overall tone of the Board improves.

To become fully proficient you must skip the reactions and jump straight to name calling and petty insults about one's political affiliations.

I know, right?!?

That’s right up there with holding a hover at 3m with wave action up top.

Yeah, the dickiness on SB makes me furrow my brow. I have always thought we would (assumption) or should (moral obligation) be a more polite crowd. I’m on another international forum and it’s truly a different experience (polite, cooperative, people express their opinions without weaponzing them, etc).

I have no use for a place like the Pub, not here or other forums I belong to.

I think we have some super Staff Members and Moderators that do a great job of guiding conversations (based on their experience) and other moderators (the dozen or so of them!) would do well to emulate their approach in the interest of a more consistent experience for users.

In contrast, we have parts of the board that erupt in silly flames and we seem to just sit across the street and watch as folks pass by and shoot gasoline at the flames. It seems like the abundance of Moderators are strangely absent at those moments.

And lastly, in extreme contrast, we have a Moderator who reliably goes straight to censoring innocuous threads and it’s puzzling. I think that Moderator should be dropped. Deleting a series of articulate posts for farting in the general direction of PADI while others bash on GUE is transparently amateur at best. Maybe I’m being too sensitive but I find the petty and lopsided censorship to be insulting.

I’ve come to perceive recently that perpetuating discussion on SB, whether it’s right or wrong, may be allowed and even encouraged for the amount of site traffic it generates. For me, that erodes my respect for the Board’s nobler intentions.

At any rate, hopefully there is a review of Moderator training and best practices as a natural sequence (eventually) to the Board upgrade. I think we need more @Akimbo , @RainPilot , @rsingler , @Wookie and @Lorenzoid on the Board. Also, I think @Kimela would be a great replacement Moderator. I think her emotional intelligence is high, she knows how to deal with conflict and her mind isn’t all cluttered with technical diving.

I know I’d make a terrible Moderator….more Hulk than Dr. Banner and I’d try to convince everybody why they need technical training (sigh…wrong answer). But I strive to be a good virtual citizen here. I do favor building each other up rather than tearing down and am hopeful the overall tone of the Board improves.
Thank you for your openness and honesty. I'd be a lousy moderator with such limited control of my emotional regulatory system. Too sensitive by half.

Like you I try to be a positive member and treat others with respect. I stay away from the more contentious threads and stick mostly to equipment stuff.

This is the only social media I'm involved in. I like being a member and for not entirely altruistic reasons I like to help out where I can because it makes me feel better about myself too.

I avoid confrontation of any sort like the plague.

Here I feel like a contributing member and due to the virtual space of an online forum I'm better able to reply after thinking and not just reacting.

SB is my social network. I've not many friends in real life.

I won't lie all these changes threw my equilibrium.

Most who "know" me give me latitude and treat me with some respect and compassion. I don't hide who I am.

I'm rambling. I got scared at the changes.

Looks like it'll all be ok.

Sorry for the ramble, I do that.

Good ramble, mate.

Always better to get that stuff out. Sorta like pulling your mask off and blowing out your nose while still in the water rather than waiting to get on board to find a paper towel.

I know, right?!?

That’s right up there with holding a hover at 3m with wave action up top.
I'd argue it's probably more important.

Also, I can completely see how most people would have no use for a place like the pub. But as pubster, I gotta say the regulars in there are a close knit group of friends who even with our disagreements would goto bat for almost any other pubster.

I don't know of anywhere else (except maybe mof) here on sb that you'll find that...

And we also occasionally talk about diving... Funny thing though, it's never contentious when it comes to diving....

Thank you for your openness and honesty. I'd be a lousy moderator with such limited control of my emotional regulatory system. Too sensitive by half.

Like you I try to be a positive member and treat others with respect. I stay away from the more contentious threads and stick mostly to equipment stuff.

This is the only social media I'm involved in. I like being a member and for not entirely altruistic reasons I like to help out where I can because it makes me feel better about myself too.

I avoid confrontation of any sort like the plague.

Here I feel like a contributing member and due to the virtual space of an online forum I'm better able to reply after thinking and not just reacting.

SB is my social network. I've not many friends in real life.

I won't lie all these changes threw my equilibrium.

Most who "know" me give me latitude and treat me with some respect and compassion. I don't hide who I am.

I'm rambling. I got scared at the changes.

Looks like it'll all be ok.

Sorry for the ramble, I do that.
Thank you for being honest.

Just wanted to clarify my thanks reaction.

Back
Top Bottom