What's in the upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagreed. How does that make you feel?

I feel bad when people are unhappy with my posts. If they are in the form of a reply, at least I can respond to them. On several occasions those replies have led me to rethink and revise my posts.

But what do I do with a "disagree" without any context?

If I get enough of them, I can guarantee I won't post as often. Just as the likes I've received have encouraged me to post more.
I have mental health issues, which I struggle with daily. I can see how this new thing could stop me from participating... potentially. Guess time will tell. I've always found SB by and large to be a "safe" space. I can see how that could now change.

Quietly nervous...

We had abuse of the old "like" system in the past as well which we as moderators took care of, if anyone sees any abuse please report the post and we will take care of it.

On a personal note, I have OFTEN wanted to downvote a post because I disagreed with it, the disagree option will at least allow folks to get a better idea of how the community feels about a specific post. For example, theres a certain deco "expert" who would have gotten about 1000 disagrees from me over the years. Instead of things turning into a bickering match, its now possible to respond, then disagree with the response to your post then leave it at that. Hopefully that will unlit some of the threads.

Its gonna be a learning curve folks, circumstances forced our hand to roll out early due to old database/server issues that couldn't be worked around anymore.
I don't always think the fastest, but this seems to me like it could cause more negative than positive.

I fully agree with the above posters. Making it easier to spread negativity by single-click without explanation doesn't encourage a positive discussion.

There's a different aspect to this whole discussion.

The previous forum software was no longer supported by the developers. That software was only running on system- and webserver software that was also end-of-life. When the board crashed in August, these factors made it hard to repair everything. So while everything seemed to work okay again, there were still some big technical issues.

Fortunately lots of work had already been done on testing the new forum software on a new server, and now that the board has been upgraded, it's stable and all the software required is now supported again.

As for the Likes which are called Reactions in the new board software: the new board comes with several reaction-levels (no matter if we like it or not). Each level gives a score: +1 (like) +2 (really like) 0 (whatever) -1 (disagree). As pointed out by others earlier, that last level is nasty. So the scoring has been changed to 0.

When changes are proposed, there is always a group that doesn't want those changes. Keep it the way it is. Don't break something that isn't broken.
But the old board was broken. In many places, that fortunately wasn't visible on the outside.
It takes time to get used to changes. Take your own time.

Participation is optional I guess. I'll take my own time and see what happens.

I appreciate all your work and all others involved in fixing/evolving this forum.

I am one that doesn't cope well with change. That's on me.

I’ve not seen this mentioned yet.

I miss the post preview option. I would spot many typos reading the preview before committing the post for all to see.
It's the icon on the top left in the editor field.
Screenshot 2021-09-28 at 12.09.02.png

Click on it to see a preview. Click on it again to go back to editing.

I noticed that we no longer have any "review" post option, which I have found useful. It allowed me to check a post to see how it looked, or if it contained a link, how it worked before committing it fully to public.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom