What's in a name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, quite a lot in fact. Problem Child and I will be having our first (a boy) in April. Well, she will be doing the "having" part and I'll take up the slack where I can. So...we have to pick a name...and since he will be raised as a strict scubatarian I thought it appropriate to see what responses we got from the board. Perhaps even diving related (let's have some fun with acronyms)? His last name will begin with a C...

Crud. I was gonna pick that one.

Well, I'll just have to pick another. How about Marlin? :)

Hmmm... did you want us to suggest a common name or a scientific name? Let's see... we could try Cnidarian for the first or Pachycerianthus for the second.

And re: the Cousteau suggestion... most of us know the problems Jean-Michel Cousteau had with the Captain when he used that name for the Fiji resort (which is now the Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort).

When we were unaware that we were having a daughter, I told my husband I liked Reef for a boy name - he didn't : ) but since it didn't turn out to be an issue we didn't have to deal with the disagreement. And since it will take me a long time to forget pregnancy and labor...I doubt we'll have to worry about the name issue again.

Suzanne : )

how about manufacture names?? Apollo, Sherwood or Mares, i think Zeagle would be a be hard for a kid to live with

Yeah Apollo, and it has links to Battlestar Galactica!

Problem Child suggested "DANiel"

I have to veto Jacques or Cousteau, as strict scubatarians that would be construed as taking our founder's name in vain :wink:

How about Stan (or Stanley) Ray? Ok so it doesn't start with a "C" but you could nickname him "Stingray" from it pretty easily :biggrin:
Ber :lilbunny:

The only thing I can come up with is to make the first initials S. A. (SAC rate)? Too obscure, though.

To really be 'helpful' I would have to know your last name.

For instance when my friends, the Loars, were having a baby, I suggested 'Limbo.'

Back
Top Bottom