What's going at Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I guess you don't know that 60K wasn't the result of some sort of calculation. Hard to judge how much power might have been stolen especially if they have no idea how long it has been there and how 'well' it worked.

And is it 60K US or pesos? I guess it must be dollars. Peso would only be like 4500US.

Good point. Why would they issue a bill in USD? That makes zero sense.

It would be good if it were 60,000 pesos.

Oh yeah . the Blue angel .. I'll be checking in in 6 days :) Should I expect a Diablo surcharge ?

A friend of mine pulled a similar stunt here in the States, and the electric utility reacted in precisely the same way. And if you don't pay your bill, they will cut you off. The electric company did not necessarily do that to try and get that money from her, they did it to ensure the issue was addressed promptly, which it was. Just because you don't agree with a business practice, that doesn't define it as corrupt.
There is a big difference between your friend and Eva. Your friend is corrupt, Eva isn't. The electric company doesn't think she installed the device. They're not accusing her of stealing. They need to get a fair and accurate estimate of what she owes. She didn't own the hotel before the device was installed. So the only way to get a accurate estimate is to install a working meter while she operates the hotel. After a few months they can read the meter. Just guessing at what she owed would be dishonest or corrupt. Leaving the power off, and forcing her to pay a inaccurate bill would be extortion. IMHO

There is a big difference between your friend and Eva. Your friend is corrupt, Eva isn't. The electric company doesn't think she installed the device. They're not accusing her of stealing. They need to get a fair and accurate estimate of what she owes. She didn't own the hotel before the device was installed. So the only way to get a accurate estimate is to install a working meter while she operates the hotel. After a few months they can read the meter. Just guessing at what she owed would be dishonest or corrupt. Leaving the power off, and forcing her to pay a inaccurate bill would be extortion. IMHO

I love your thinking, but the flaw there would be figuring that the new bill would be accurate. Certainly she would try to cut back, not to cheat them, but just because the rate would go up.

Also we don't know the power company's method. Apparently these devices are not new to Coz. Perhaps they can readily judge the percentage it cuts the bill? Then they guess from the install how old it is. Then the negotiations begin.

A friend who is a wig at a big eastern power company said they don't care who did it. They cut the power off and demand an estimated payment.

​You're a contractor, yet you say costs have no influence on prices? So when you make a bid, you just pick some random numbers?

Yes, that or a magic eight ball.

Seriously, I have no idea what you're getting at, as the very post you quoted contradicts what you're saying.

By the way, haven't 'bid' on anything in 10 years.

Jeeeezus - you guys are STILL debating this and making assumptions, speculating, and getting all worked up over stuff that you have no control over? And that hasn't happened and may not happen? And even if it does, you won't REALLY know why - or maybe it will be a combination of factors. You guys are cracking me up! Isn't there a reality show or something you could be watching? :D

Maybe we need a 12 step recovery program for Scubaboard - hahaha!

Last edited:
Christi,

You new to SB? I don't know that any of us are worked up and it appears we are amusing you, so we are on target. At almost 6,000 views we are nearly leading the Coz board. Like a car wreck, you just can't take your eyes off it.

So on behalf of the combatants, I accept your thanks!

Oh, thanks Gordon. I knew I remembered about SOMETHING solar. So to be clear then, they get their hot water from solar power?
I'm not sure if they are still up there, but for a time at least there were two solar thermal collectors on the roof. Typically they run in parallel with more traditional water heating to reduce its cost, similarly to the way that most PV (electric) solar runs in parallel with a grid interconnection to reduce electricity costs. I doubt they they are/were big enough to completely supply all the hot water needs of the hotel.

---------- Post added November 12th, 2013 at 07:20 AM ----------

There is a big difference between your friend and Eva. Your friend is corrupt, Eva isn't. The electric company doesn't think she installed the device. They're not accusing her of stealing. They need to get a fair and accurate estimate of what she owes. She didn't own the hotel before the device was installed. So the only way to get a accurate estimate is to install a working meter while she operates the hotel. After a few months they can read the meter. Just guessing at what she owed would be dishonest or corrupt. Leaving the power off, and fording her to pay a inaccurate bill would be extortion. IMHO
Of course. My friend discovered he could pull the meter off the wall, turn it over, and plug it back in to make it run backwards. He got caught, and he's lucky he didn't go to jail.

I am not privy to the details of the deal Eva worked out with the electric utility, but I doubt very seriously she agreed to pay the $60k or whatever it was. The number they spit out was a shot over the bow to get her attention, then her lawyer went to work. They left the power off until an agreement was reached, which seems like pretty standard stuff to me.

Christi, I bought a ipad so I can watch reality shows and read SB at the same time. Bering Sea Gold is my favorite. I have to know what is going to happen with Zeke and Emily? There must not be any good reality shows on in Mexico if your reading this at 1am.

I have to get over to the Bull Sharks in Playa and Eagle Rays in Cozumel thread. I think it's going to shape up to be a good one. If I see you over there I'll know you need help too. Especially if you show up at one o'clock in the morning. See you there.

Christi,

You new to SB? I don't know that any of us are worked up and it appears we are amusing you, so we are on target. At almost 6,000 views we are nearly leading the Coz board. Like a car wreck, you just can't take your eyes off it.

So on behalf of the combatants, I accept your thanks!

the diving must be pretty boring for a power outage to lead the Coz board :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom