Whats DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD the list is pretty much right on:

GUE is who they are
WKPP is as much a place to dive as an organization
DIR is what they teach and the method is in all of their courses Tech 1-3, Cave 1-3, etc...
Halcyon is as connected to GUE as integrated boots are to a drysuit.

Your statements are correct too but you're splitting hairs.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
DD the list is pretty much right on:

GUE is who they are
WKPP is as much a place to dive as an organization
DIR is what they teach and the method is in all of their courses Tech 1-3, Cave 1-3, etc...
Halcyon is as connected to GUE as integrated boots are to a drysuit.

Your statements are correct too but you're splitting hairs.

Actually, I'm not.

WKPP has nothing to do with GUE, other than George Irvine's dive partner-Jarrod Jablonski. Of course, George has an influence on DIR, but he has no controlling interest (in fact, I believe no interest at all) in either GUE or Halcyon. WKPP dives in many places.

Halcyon is owned by different people than GUE is directed by (sorry, sintax problem there) . Jarrod is the ONLY common denominator here. Of course, product sold by Halcyon contain things that are DIR compliant and of exceptionally high quality, but that's because Jarrod couldn't find anyone to build them to his high standards. You should note that Halycon also sells stuff that is not DIR compliant. In fact, their Extreme Exposure shop sells split fins! I almost fell over when I saw that one there!!

My point is that a lot of folks try to make the connetion that GUE forces their divers to purchase Halcyon products. If you read the many threads here about the DIR Fundamentals classes, this could not be further from the truth. In fact, brand name is seldom mentioned unless it is felt that a particular product is dangerous, and then it is explained why.

People buy Halycon for many reasons. Some to fit in with the crowd, some to try to impress others, and some because of the high quality and service.

Probably getting off track here, but I really don't think I split hairs at all. They are all separate entities with different goals.

Now now everyone :)

Let's not get too into the stereotypical argument about everything. He was just curious as to what DIR was :)

detroit diver once bubbled...
Halcyon is owned by different people than GUE is directed by (sorry, sintax problem there) . Jarrod is the ONLY common denominator here. Of course, product sold by Halcyon contain things that are DIR compliant and of exceptionally high quality, but that's because Jarrod couldn't find anyone to build them to his high standards. You should note that Halycon also sells stuff that is not DIR compliant. In fact, their Extreme Exposure shop sells split fins! I almost fell over when I saw that one there!!

I'm not 100% sure on the timeline here but as i understand it, Halcyon was started by Robert Carmichael with JJ buying in as a partner.

DD is correct though, JJ is the primary common denominator. Halcyon is NOT controlled by GUE in any other regard than than that JJ is a part owner. Halcyon is his vocation, GUE is his avocation.

Halcyon makes top-notch gear suitable for all divers, DIR or not.

WW

ps- WKPP is an organization dedicated to cave expoloration, conservation, and science. George Irvine leads it (and he is in NO WAY officially affiliated with GUE). WKPP is not a "place to dive".

Butch103 once bubbled...

Now how close was I on this first statement......:D :eek:ut: :boom:

Okay, okay..pretty darn close, I'll give you that :D

Oh darn hear we go again argument of diver styles types , people ect , personally I think if we could take a little of both we would have some fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, no, we weren't arguing about it. Take another look at the discussion...

ok I was wrong !!!
but be the first post in long time no arguments !!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom