What's Big, Brown, and Eats Jellies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, that explanation helped a lot.

Does anyone have advice on finding leopard sharks? I've heard Coal Chute Cove is a prime spot to look for them, but the vis is always so bad when I go there I could swim right beside one and not notice.

Monastery is the only place where I've seen sharks, but don't think for a second that that's the only place.

I've spotted leopard sharks on two occasions at South Monastery, at the sand-kelp border line. I was also lucky enough to be hovering over an angel shark at North Monastery. Would have missed it if my buddy hadn't pointed it out.

IMO you're most likely going to find them in a sand channel or relatively flat area. Adult leopard sharks don't have a sharp turning radius, so they're not going to be in a hilly rocky shallow area. Additionally they only really tend to stay static on the bottom during their sleeping phase. Once they're up and active they're constantly swimming and they're skittish; so not the best of luck in a diver's favor. If you're ever in the Elkhorn Slough, you'll hit pay dirt on leopard sharks. Although that's only if you're trapping and tagging. It's impossible to see in that water.

Is their sleeping phase any particular time of the day?

Oh what I wouldn't give to be that couple that saw the grey whale in the sand channel at Lobos earlier this year.

Video won't work with my IPAD.:(

Dr. Tracy the video won't work on my I-Pad either. The OP mentioned that the video contains copyright music and for some reason YouTube disables mobile devices from viewing these. I don't know why ... it seems like mobile devices are a niche that Google/YouTupe is marketing. :idk:

Yeah, companies are often nonsensical when it comes to copyrighted music. I think their rationale is that people mostly listen to music on mobile devices, and that if a song is on YouTube then consumers might just listen to it there rather than buying it.

At least YouTube allows the videos to be watched on computers, I guess. Facebook is much stricter and deletes your video the moment you upload it and it detects a popular song is the background music.

Is their sleeping phase any particular time of the day?

Oh what I wouldn't give to be that couple that saw the grey whale in the sand channel at Lobos earlier this year.

Nope. That's what makes it FUN! :D

Seals are also way more friendly than sea lions, and of course, more adorable.
_WUF6581.jpg

I've seen leopard sharks at Lobos and in near the aquarium.

Great picture, Marc! I've only seen seals at Lobos, and they just spare me a passing glance then swim away. Haven't gotten to experience the fin-tugging so many others seem to get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom