What's actually in that water? Plankton & Diatom Images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure Squintsalot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When not in the water, I try to make a point of being on the water, collecting what's IN the water. Getting plankton is easy enough but things start getting complicated when looking at this stuff under a microscope. Getting useful images and reasonably good photos requires yet another level of complication (and time). Lastly, finding names and information for individual plankton requires far more hours of google scholarship topside than time ever spent underwater.

Thankfully, for all the frustrations, this effort is hugely rewarding; here's a little bit of that payoff from a trip to Puerta Galera, in the Phillippines:

Screenshot 2023-04-25 223208.jpg

Theocalyptra bicornis

Screenshot 2023-04-25 223534.jpg

Undetermined

screenshot-2023-12-21-224724-jpg.816930

Bacteriastrum biconum

Screenshot 2023-12-21 224815.jpg

Chaetoceros spp.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 225058.jpg

Acantheria spp.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-21 224724.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-21 224724.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 138
In Queensland I used to dance with diatoms or whatever these are on my stops particularly between 5-1 m
Not wanting to surface and then get back on board into the din I would swim around for as long as I could

Screenshot (1006).png

Unreal, most divers don't see them, others thought I was more nuts, I thought I was in a sci fi heaven, brilliant!

Not that I'm a sci fi guy at all

Cool images from you guys!! Thanks for sharing.

What are you using for a photo microscope?
I use a 40 year old research-grade trinocular scope with lots of odd, custom modifications for dark field and differential interference contrast illumination. Bright field illumination, unfortunately, is almost useless for plankton; there's simply not nearly enough contrast between frustules and the mounting medium to see much of anything, so a basic microscope is a non-starter for this sort of thing. However, you'd be stunned to see how little you can pay for old, quality instruments.
In Queensland I used to dance with diatoms or whatever these are on my stops particularly between 5-1 m
Not wanting to surface and then get back on board into the din I would swim around for as long as I could
Totally get that. The real action is during night dive safety stops and what happens right in front of a dive light!

Merry used to do the same with old microscopes at work. The hardest part was getting a camera to take a decent photo through the eyepiece.

Nice...those look like phase contrast images, and, might I say, really good for eyepiece shots! If I lived near a coast, I'd be looking at living plankton....which look different from the dead stuff. You guys are lucky!

A few more from Puerta Galera:
Screenshot 2023-12-22 100505.jpg

Chaetoceros spp.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 100538.jpg

Coscinodiscus spp.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 100626.jpg

Eucampia spp.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 100709.jpg

Foraminifera

Screenshot 2023-12-22 100755.jpg

Odontella mobilensis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/