What, you want to doff/don my weight belt and BC?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nilzlofgren

Reaction score
# of dives
I've posted here about my adventures in scuba class. My issue last night was unexpected. I posted in another forum, about hating my weight belt. So last night in class, the skill was that we doff/don our weight belt, than the same with our BC. Both at the surface, and at depth. When it was my turn, I took the belt off, laid it out and checked that it wasn't twisted, and attempted to put it back on. Well, it kept slipping from my hand. And, when I would roll to face down, it was always inside out, I couldn't thread it through the buckle etc. It took about 5 min and an instructors help to finally get it back on. When it was time to remove my BC, I took it off fine, than couldnt get it back on. I had to leave the group, and collect myself. So now I have to try to complete this skill next week.:shakehead:

I've posted here about my adventures in scuba class. My issue last night was unexpected. I posted in another forum, about hating my weight belt. So last night in class, the skill was that we doff/don our weight belt, than the same with our BC. Both at the surface, and at depth. When it was my turn, I took the belt off, laid it out and checked that it wasn't twisted, and attempted to put it back on. Well, it kept slipping from my hand. And, when I would roll to face down, it was always inside out, I couldn't thread it through the buckle etc. It took about 5 min and an instructors help to finally get it back on. When it was time to remove my BC, I took it off fine, than couldnt get it back on. I had to leave the group, and collect myself. So now I have to try to complete this skill next week.:shakehead:

What steps did you go through trying to perform these skills? Can you remember exactly how you were doing it?

R..

Yeah - weight belts strike me to be a huge pain in the ass. I strongly prefer integrated weights.

BC removing is an important skill though. I've had to take mine off at depth, to fix a problem I was having with the inflator hose (details unimportant). There are other instances where it can be necessary to do to. One thing that may help you is to ensure the adjustable shoulder straps are all the way open before taking it off. That gives you more room to put your shoulder back in the thing. You can also use the quick release buckles too. Just trying practicing a few times on land (without tank and stuff) to develop some "muscle memory" and skill with it and you should be OK.

Gravity is your friend.

To put your weight belt back on, you need be horizontal and roll it around yourself. If you try to wrestle it into place, you'll lose.

The same goes for your BC. Get one arm through an arm hole, then roll into it.

Almost everything in SCUBA is finesse. If you're working hard at something, chances are excellent that you're probably not doing it the best way.

Terry

What steps did you go through trying to perform these skills? Can you remember exactly how you were doing it?

R..

I started out on my knees, laying the belt out in front of me on the floor of the pool. Than I checked it to see that it was oriented correctly. I than grab the loose end with my right hand. At this point, I am still on my knees looking down. And, know that I think about it, here is my first mistake. Instead of lying face up while buoyant, I was trying the roll, kinda from my knees. Trying to go from my knees to my back than the roll. Another dum dum move of mine, was that I was so flustered that I rolled the wrong way. Also I was trying to insert the end into the buckle, with the buckle closed.:shakehead:

With the issues that I've seen you post on here, I can't help but to think you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Everyone has issues learning to dive....it comes more naturally to some than to others. But if you are able to get down there, clear your mind, and just focus on what you're trying to do, things will come more naturally. But here's the tricky part....if you don't get it just right the first time (or maybe you totally botch what you were trying to do), don't get upset or flustered. Just think about what went wrong, how your instructor demonstrated it....visualize yourself doing it correctly, then walk yourself through it. In your head, you know how to do these things....slow down, think, walk yourself through it, complete the task.

Don't worry if you don't get everything the first time. And don't compare yourself to other people who may get something quicker than you (there's probably something you'll get quicker than them). The things you struggle with will, in time and with practice, become things you excel at....assuming you put in the time and effort.

Don't be so hard on yourself....and be patient with yourself. You can and will do this! Good luck with the rest of your training and HAVE FUN! :D

Terry's idea is how I do it as well - Get horizontal in the water. Hold "tail" of belt in right hand, with end pointing down toward the bottom at the right side of waist. Roll to the right, completely around until you are once again laying horizontal in the water column looking at the bottom. The belt should now be draped over the back of your waist, just make sure it's not on top of your tank or BCD and then buckle it together.

tips:
1) don't rush anything - slow and methodical steps
2) finesse (as Terry mentioned - if it's being forced something is not going right)
3) remaining neutrally bouyant during the exercise really helps (ie don't let go of the belt during the exercise or you wind up very bouyant) So - if you are struggling with your bouyancy, everything becomes more difficult :wink: just relax and watch your bouyancy during the exercise.

For BCD - Here is how I do it, and teach my students.

If you are unsure along the way have your instructor break it down into small steps (trying to do the entire skill can be "overload" and it helps to learn each piece by itself)

I encourage my students to do this neutrally bouyant, though under close supervision - if you are struggling with your bouyancy at this stage, but must do the exercise, then do it on the bottom (or better yet, get your bouyancy nailed down first) ... but nearly everything on scuba is easier if done neutrally bouyant IMHO... especially in open water, so you don't have to fight surge and current.

1) Get horizontal in the water column floating just off the bottom (use the bottom as a reference point, and don't lose control of your bouyancy - it's a priority) you should feel like you are laying face down on a bed ... well a foot or two off the bed/sand in this case :wink:

2) remove waist strap/cumberbun (and crotch strap if using one) and replace repeatedly until it's second nature. (if wearing a bungeed backup reg on a necklace remove it first)

3) Lift unit over head and then back into place on your back (not all the way off, just to the top of your head) repeatedly

4) repeat steps 1,2&3 until they are second nature.

5) Step 3 + lift completely over head and place in front of you in the water column (or on the bottom) but DO NOT remove your arms from the straps (they are probably wrapped around the rig at this stage) Replace, and repeat a dozen times or until comfortable and confident.

6)Now go one step further and remove arms from straps (but hold onto the rig and do not let it float away - if it is weight integrated keep it as close to your belly as possible to help in controlling your trim and bouyancy)

7) To replace make sure straps have not drifted out of place, put arms thru the straps just past your elbows (tank valve should be facing toward your feet, with cylinder bottom just in front of your eyes. ie - still looking just like it did when you brought it over your head)

8)wrap your arms around the rig, grasping the tank, lift tank over head and allow it to fall gently onto your back (or if unable to lift the weight simply do a somersault into it ... roll yourself, instead of the rig)

9)calmly and slowly straighten any tangled straps or hoses (don't rush or you just get frustrated ... there's no hurry)

10)refasten waist belt/cumberbun (and crotch strap if used) also replace bungeed backup reg (if using one)

11) if using a long hose perform a modified S-drill to ensure the primary regulator is deployable.

All done :)

Overall, make sure you are relaxed, methodical and orderly and you will eventually find all of this quite simple :) I like to think of it as a puzzle or game ... just don't get frustrated or you have lost already.

Aloha, Tim

If everyone could do it first time out, we wouldn't call it a skill.

The easiest way to learn this is to review the exact series of motions on land and repeat them until you could do them asleep. Then try to duplicate the proceedure underwater which will be harder, but you'll at least know what you're trying ro do, and only have to deal with the other issues.

If you can still do mini trampoline flips while playing electric guitar, this skill should be within your abilities. :)

Terry's idea is how I do it as well - Get horizontal in the water. Hold "tail" of belt in right hand, with end pointing down toward the bottom at the right side of waist. Roll to the right, completely around until you are once again laying horizontal in the water column looking at the bottom. The belt should now be draped over the back of your waist, just make sure it's not on top of your tank or BCD and then buckle it together.
A suggestion: Get a rubber belt with a wire buckle or a "SeaQuest" belt. These are positive closure buckles that you don't have to "thread." It's much quicker.
tips:
1) don't rush anything - slow and methodical steps
2) finesse (as Terry mentioned - if it's being forced something is not going right)
3) remaining neutrally bouyant during the exercise really helps (ie don't let go of the belt during the exercise or you wind up very bouyant) So - if you are struggling with your bouyancy, everything becomes more difficult :wink: just relax and watch your bouyancy during the exercise.

For BCD - Here is how I do it, and teach my students.

If you are unsure along the way have your instructor break it down into small steps (trying to do the entire skill can be "overload" and it helps to learn each piece by itself)

I encourage my students to do this neutrally bouyant, though under close supervision - if you are struggling with your bouyancy at this stage, but must do the exercise, then do it on the bottom (or better yet, get your bouyancy nailed down first) ... but nearly everything on scuba is easier if done neutrally bouyant IMHO... especially in open water, so you don't have to fight surge and current.

1) Get horizontal in the water column floating just off the bottom (use the bottom as a reference point, and don't lose control of your bouyancy - it's a priority) you should feel like you are laying face down on a bed ... well a foot or two off the bed/sand in this case :wink:

2) remove waist strap/cumberbun (and crotch strap if using one) and replace repeatedly until it's second nature. (if wearing a bungeed backup reg on a necklace remove it first)

3) Lift unit over head and then back into place on your back (not all the way off, just to the top of your head) repeatedly

4) repeat steps 1,2&3 until they are second nature.

5) Step 3 + lift completely over head and place in front of you in the water column (or on the bottom) but DO NOT remove your arms from the straps (they are probably wrapped around the rig at this stage) Replace, and repeat a dozen times or until comfortable and confident.

6)Now go one step further and remove arms from straps (but hold onto the rig and do not let it float away - if it is weight integrated keep it as close to your belly as possible to help in controlling your trim and bouyancy)

7) To replace make sure straps have not drifted out of place, put arms thru the straps just past your elbows (tank valve should be facing toward your feet, with cylinder bottom just in front of your eyes. ie - still looking just like it did when you brought it over your head)

8)wrap your arms around the rig, grasping the tank, lift tank over head and allow it to fall gently onto your back (or if unable to lift the weight simply do a somersault into it ... roll yourself, instead of the rig)

9)calmly and slowly straighten any tangled straps or hoses (don't rush or you just get frustrated ... there's no hurry)

10)refasten waist belt/cumberbun (and crotch strap if used) also replace bungeed backup reg (if using one)

11) if using a long hose perform a modified S-drill to ensure the primary regulator is deployable.

All done :)

Overall, make sure you are relaxed, methodical and orderly and you will eventually find all of this quite simple :) I like to think of it as a puzzle or game ... just don't get frustrated or you have lost already.

Aloha, Tim
Very good drill, very good advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom