What, you want to doff/don my weight belt and BC?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tips:
Tim

Tim's right about one thing. The equipment don/doff is much easier if you're hovering than it is sitting on the bottom..... (1) assuming you can hover and (2) assuming you're properly weighted for any suit you might have on.

Nilzlofgren, it looks to me like your main problem is you're not allowing yourself to make mistakes. Dude you need to relax and learn how to laugh about stuff you're not doing right.

You ever watch those amazing videos of skateboarders doing things you thought was impossible? They sure look good, don't they? Amazing.

But how many times do you think they slipped off of one of those bars before they got that bit of film? Do you think they're failures or lousy skateboarders because they slipped off the bar 87 times?

When students get flustered because they can't do something straight away I always say to them "This is why you're here.... If you knew how to do all this stuff already you wouldn't need lessons". Give yourself a break and let the instructor teach you if you can't figure it out youerself the first time..... In fact, if your instructor is anything like I am then he'll dig and dig until he finds your weak spots and then drill at them until they're clean. In your case the weak spot is your perfectionism. That's what's getting in your way of getting the skill right.... Go back to class, remind yourself to be the STUDENT and confront that feeling head on. You'll get further like that than you will trying to be perfect out of the gate, believe me.

R..

Funny. I figured since we were between tours, I'd take the class. :)

If you really are you, I saw you splat a one and a quarter on your guitar at McNichols Arena in Denver (late 70's) and that was funny (since you weren't seriously hurt). I worked a couple years as a cliff diver so I know splat! :rofl3:

If you really are you, I saw you splat a one and a quarter on your guitar at McNichols Arena in Denver (late 70's)
And I dated your step-sister in Baltimore in 1979. I don't remember her name, but I do remember that she had nothing nice to say about Neil Young.

Terry's idea is how I do it as well - Get horizontal in the water. Hold "tail" of belt in right hand, with end pointing down toward the bottom at the right side of waist. Roll to the right, completely around until you are once again laying horizontal in the water column looking at the bottom. The belt should now be draped over the back of your waist, just make sure it's not on top of your tank or BCD and then buckle it together.

tips:
1) don't rush anything - slow and methodical steps
2) finesse (as Terry mentioned - if it's being forced something is not going right)
3) remaining neutrally bouyant during the exercise really helps (ie don't let go of the belt during the exercise or you wind up very bouyant) So - if you are struggling with your bouyancy, everything becomes more difficult :wink: just relax and watch your bouyancy during the exercise.

For BCD - Here is how I do it, and teach my students.

If you are unsure along the way have your instructor break it down into small steps (trying to do the entire skill can be "overload" and it helps to learn each piece by itself)

I encourage my students to do this neutrally bouyant, though under close supervision - if you are struggling with your bouyancy at this stage, but must do the exercise, then do it on the bottom (or better yet, get your bouyancy nailed down first) ... but nearly everything on scuba is easier if done neutrally bouyant IMHO... especially in open water, so you don't have to fight surge and current.

1) Get horizontal in the water column floating just off the bottom (use the bottom as a reference point, and don't lose control of your bouyancy - it's a priority) you should feel like you are laying face down on a bed ... well a foot or two off the bed/sand in this case :wink:

2) remove waist strap/cumberbun (and crotch strap if using one) and replace repeatedly until it's second nature. (if wearing a bungeed backup reg on a necklace remove it first)

3) Lift unit over head and then back into place on your back (not all the way off, just to the top of your head) repeatedly

4) repeat steps 1,2&3 until they are second nature.

5) Step 3 + lift completely over head and place in front of you in the water column (or on the bottom) but DO NOT remove your arms from the straps (they are probably wrapped around the rig at this stage) Replace, and repeat a dozen times or until comfortable and confident.

6)Now go one step further and remove arms from straps (but hold onto the rig and do not let it float away - if it is weight integrated keep it as close to your belly as possible to help in controlling your trim and bouyancy)

7) To replace make sure straps have not drifted out of place, put arms thru the straps just past your elbows (tank valve should be facing toward your feet, with cylinder bottom just in front of your eyes. ie - still looking just like it did when you brought it over your head)

8)wrap your arms around the rig, grasping the tank, lift tank over head and allow it to fall gently onto your back (or if unable to lift the weight simply do a somersault into it ... roll yourself, instead of the rig)

9)calmly and slowly straighten any tangled straps or hoses (don't rush or you just get frustrated ... there's no hurry)

10)refasten waist belt/cumberbun (and crotch strap if used) also replace bungeed backup reg (if using one)

11) if using a long hose perform a modified S-drill to ensure the primary regulator is deployable.

All done :)

Overall, make sure you are relaxed, methodical and orderly and you will eventually find all of this quite simple :) I like to think of it as a puzzle or game ... just don't get frustrated or you have lost already.

Aloha, Tim
Great post, i was taught a different way but i cant wait to try this one, seems much better

my advice can be applied to lots of things in life, but basically it's this: take your time and think through what you're doing. if something doesn't work quite right, stop and start over. in the pool, you can try it over and over and it's easier to think, stop, start over in a pool where you can see you gear clearly and don't have other stuff to worry about. For a bit of comic relief, here's my experience with doffing/doning my bc in the pool during my OW class: You know how fish flop when they're first pulled from the water? picture that, I looked something like that while trying to get my bc back on at the surface. I laughed at myself, but it worked. underwater wasn't much better. I missed the demo cause I had to clear my mask (i thought it was fogged, but really it was the pool water that wasn't too clear). i figured i could watch somebody else do it before i did it myself, but no, my instructor wanted ME to do it first. so i got it off, set it on the bottom of the pool and then -- "ok, now what?" then i started laughing, like, really laughing, like hold your reg in your mouth and be prepared to clear your flooded mask laughing. think my instructor thought i was panicking and felt the need to help me. so advice number 2) laugh at yourself if you need to, just don't do it underwater until you get good at clearing your mask. :D

Been diving a long time and teach but every once in a blue moon things just go straight to hell with this skill. I've done what I never thought Houdini could do. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Take your time mainly and work thru it. I found the easiest way is to lay it out on the bottom in front of you, holding the buckle in one hand, then rolling over on your back facing up, grabbing the other end in your other hand, and then forcefully rolling back over onto your face and buckling up. This puts the weight on your back and is much easier to work thru. Same thing with putting it on.....bend over and let the weight rest on your back instead of standing vertically and struggling with it. Hang in there, you'll be fine.

Let's break it down to simple steps:

1. Place yourself horizontal a few inches off the bottom.
  2. Signal your Instructor "OK."
  3. Undue your buckle, hold the belt at both ends.
  4. Roll 180 degrees
  5. Slide it off your tank.
  6. Lay it neatly on the bottom.et
  7. Keeping a hold of both ends of the belt, roll back 180 degrees.
  8. Your belt will be a bit low. Bend at the waist a dash to get your tank away from your back and pull it up.
  9. You should now be horizontal, just off the bottom, with your weightbelt across your back and unbuckled ... go ahead ... buckle it up.

I took everybody's advice into account. Tonight my class, and I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Best of luck. Remember ... slow and easy gets it done.

Back
Top Bottom