What you dislike most....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The I might try that, on a whim people, that have dictated how the industry is
and are quite capable or not of progressing further and improving
as they wish.

Except for those walking along Glenferrie Rd.

:rofl3: That is how I got into diving, walking past a shop on Glenferrie Road and signing up on a whim...

Actually I am a factory authorized tech for Oceanic but because I am not affilaited with a shop I can't buy parts. I 'd be fine with getting my parts thru a dealer but most of the mfg's won't allow the dealer to sell to me. Which is why I am switching to those that do and those are the brands I recommend.

But I can buy brake pads and calipers, spark plugs, and even an engine and transmission. I can also buy receivers, barrels, and trigger assemblies. In addition I can get test equipment and parts for my television, computer internals, and high voltage switching equipment with no more than a credit card. I can go and buy a mig welder, CNC lathe, or any other industrial machine if I have the cash. The manuals for most regs are free on line, I can get all the tools or make them. No need to show ANY kind of training. That argument is moot.

My book came long after I began to teach the way I do, the essays and courses I have written, and the articles I write for an on line magazine. I have other media outlets as well that I have never noted on SB. The theme though is the same. Just enough is not good enough.

If someone wants to dive beyond recommendations that's one thing. Every diver should be responsible for their own safety provided they know all the risks of their decisions. They don't. And when they don't they should not be taken on trust me dives where a bad decision on someone's part ends up getting a diver hurt or killed.

I will train anyone. Anyone who wants to take the time required to train with me. I cannot by standards offer an OW course less than 32 hours in length (16 classroom, 16 pool) plus time on checkouts. Any less they need to find another instructor. I have always been that way since crossing over as a DM from one agency to another that more closely met my own moral and ethical standards.

Oh and two weeks ago I did an Ice Dive day where at least 5 shops cooperated with each other to have a great time. In addtion to the independent instructors that were there. No one looked at each other as competition. And there are a couple shops I know of that cooperate with each other when it comes to gear servicing, dive trips, and even sales to meet the needs of the students. They do a pretty good business. I don't compete with any shops. I teach smaller classes and accomodate schedules they cannot or will not.

Interesting. Contrary to all the complaints so far about poor training of divers, one of my biggest gripes is dive operations who assume that all divers are improperly trained idiots and should not be allowed to dive off a boat except under close supervision. I am kind of sick of some guy who wasn't even born when I started to diving telling me he has to check I can clear my mask and recover my regulator before I will be allowed to dive. Then I have to follow him around kicking up silt in my face the whole dive.

Considering I now have my Trimix cert and that my local shop just went "under" for the 2nd time in about a year (new owner didn't last too long) I don't care anymore. I mean I DO miss the old shop and all the good times but I don't miss all the BS that went along with it. It was like a love-hate relationship. It's just the nature of the business I guess although there are some shops out there that are really trying to do the right thing. Anyway... I can now pick and choose out of several shops about an hour away and don't have to feel pressure to be loyal to any one shop. I service my own regs and will find a way to get tanks serviced etc. There's plenty of shops I can buy online from as well as they give great service.

Interesting thread here. I guess the thing I hate the most are the egos. People seem to delight in telling others how they suck.

But I can buy brake pads and calipers, spark plugs, and even an engine and transmission. I can also buy receivers, barrels, and trigger assemblies. In addition I can get test equipment and parts for my television, computer internals, and high voltage switching equipment with no more than a credit card. I can go and buy a mig welder, CNC lathe, or any other industrial machine if I have the cash. The manuals for most regs are free on line, I can get all the tools or make them. No need to show ANY kind of training. That argument is moot.

Moot? Really.

The thing is... that manufacturers have spent many years trying to take the scuba equipment sales and service out of the hands of instructors who sell stuff out of their trunks and garages, and keep equipment and repairs to reputable and expertly trained technicians.

Let's set the clock backwards instead of forwards... Lets put gear sales back in the hands of instructors who make back alley deals on scuba gear. That will definitely save the industry.

Well, this is probably going to sound naive but I absolutely delight in scuba diving so the rest is just details.

I love going places to dive. It's an adventure from the moment I leave for the airport until the moment I return, when I'm already planning my next trip.

Thanks to scuba, I've met some great people and I've experienced some great things along the way. Ten years ago I had never seen a Mayan ruin except on tv. Now I've clambered all over a bunch of them. And I'm going to do it again this summer. Can't wait! I've slept on beaches and in the jungle, partied all night with Belizeans, practiced my Spanish on confused looking Mexicans and always had a blast doing it.

And did I mention that I really love to dive? I can descend, hang in one spot, watch the world go by down to 500 psi and be a happy camper.

My only regret is that I didn't get into this much earlier.

Reading between the lines of NWGratefulDiver's posts, I have to say I agree completely. I would love to see more OW courses that focus on creating "divers", as opposed to "people who have been underwater at least four times". One of these days, more of the shops will realize that a large stable of active local divers really is the best way to stay around... :)

Interesting thread here. I guess the thing I hate the most are the egos. People seem to delight in telling others how they suck.

Said perfectly. Seriously, this may be your best line ever. Thanks.

Mostly just the Walmart approach to dive training. I see no reason why we have to so routinely turn out new divers who know barely enough to kick the crap out of the reefs, worry the crap out of their dive buddies, and scare the crap out of themselves.

Dive training should not be treated as primarily a "loss leader" to get people into shops to buy expensive dive equipment ... that just promotes the "minimal standards" approach in an effort to reduce costs.

I'd like to see dive equipment sales and dive training be completely separate businesses ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This is probably my number one concern. The other issue that concerns me is a shop that will take on any repair without really knowing how to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom