What would your reaction have been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almitywife is right about the importance of getting someone back into the water. I had a very bad dive experience about 10 years ago. I still can't point to what precisely went wrong. No panic or anything like that. It just turned sour and I thumbed the dive. By the time I got back on the boat, I was exhausted...for no apparent reason. I decided to sit out the second dive. The skipper, bless her, threw me back into the water for the second dive. It was a good dive. And, but for her having thrown me back in, I might never have dived again. Getting back into the water is important. But, in OW, I would not have had anyone to throw me back in.

I think I would have... I'd also like to know how it was handled by the dive master? I'd immagine that would be a good time to discuss how you will come across accidents in diving(I havn't yet, and hope I won't) and how important it is, like in any other activity to use it as a learning experiance and improve your own abilities. Then strongly encourage the divers to make another dive the next day.... I think people need to be warmed up to the sport before we sell off her gear and get back in the water as the EMT's pull out.

I was in the water for my AOW while a rescue was underway across the quarry where the guy ended up dying. All it did was push me to rescue so I would be able to react if I was in the same situation as the rescuer over there.

Rachel

The only thing that would have caused me to abort a dive the day of the 1st open water dive is if one of the students was eaten by a shark.

All kidding aside, I definately would have continued diving, but I wouldn't have done so that day out of respect for the deceased and her family. There is always another day to dive, but only a few moments to conduct ones' self like a respectful gentleman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom