What would your reaction have been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it had happened in my OW class, I'm not sure I would have completed the class or retaken it. If it happened after that, I would have continued to dive. Its not that I would have been freightened nor would I have taken it as an omen. I simply would not have had the inclination to force myself to retake the class.

I took OW with a girlfriend and she backed out when we were at our first OW check out. I got in and did the first 2 dives. Then I went back the second day to finish the check out while she sat at home (we lived together) and pouted.

I think that was a bigger deal than a classmate dying.

I thought about buying the gear too.....

having almost drowned 3 times I think I would still be diving....If my three near misses didn't scare me then I dont think someone else having a heart attack would. Seen many bad car accidents that have had fatalities still drive....

Since I am related to everyone in my OW class we would not have finished the class. But, if there where other people that I barely new then I would have.

Well, I have a little different perspective, because I see people have heart attacks all the time, and often see people die. I don't think it would have affected me very much, except to feel bad for the person who died, and for her family. Now, if somebody had a panic attack and drowned in the class, that might have been quite different.

james croft:
I would have tried to buy the gear, cheap.
hahahah, reminds me years ago a guy we knew got bent twice (small hole in the heart it was found out) and while sitting at the hospital discussing how he wont be able to dive again the conversation about his gear going cheap started.

may i suggest that the dive shop should have gone out of its way to keep the couple diving.

a few phone calls, offers to go out diving with a DM provided may have been welcomed by the couple.

my hubbys dive shop has its instructors going out of their way to be helpful and encouraging. if a student gets a crappy viz/surgy dive while on course hubby always makes it up to them afterwards with a dive at a different site so they see more of Sydney and get them back into the water.

oh, and if i witness it - i have witnessed about 4 fatalities in my life, it screws with you a bit but it also depends on how it is dealt with afterwards - so i will still be diving.

catherine96821:
yes, but I would get on the treadmill everyday....makes more sense, you know?

I agree! Diving lead me to lose about thirty pounds. I was SOOO hooked that I wanted to enjoy it as much as possible without my big belly and lack of cardio fitness getting in the way. :D Yeah! I am a much happier and safer diver now.

If I witnessed a death during OW it may have kept me out of the water for some time but my guess is eventually it would call me back. Perhaps I wouldn't be diving now...who knows? I was in pretty bad shape when I started diving and I may have been scared off. Not now though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom