What would your reaction have been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The story:

My daughter participates in Crew. At a regatta in Occoquan this past weekend we struck up a discussion with parents from schools in the DC area - This was a high school regatta. The discussion turned to diving and one of the parents commented that when they lived in Florida she and her husband had decided to learn to dive. During their first OW check out dive one of the students died. They found out later that she had had a heart attack - an older lady. As a result they never finished the class and have never been diving.

The question: If this had of happened in your OW class would you be diving today.
I think the answer for me would have been no. That would be hard to overcome when there is so much new info to process on those first few dives anyhow.

I would still be diving. Since it was know that she had a heart attack, I would have felt bad for her but she could have had one anywhere.

I think I would still be diving, as well. As Dennis said, it was a heart attack, not diver error, equipment malfunction, shark attack, all the other fears that new divers have.

i would still be diving, i have had three acquaintances die, all diveing, but all were medical problems!! i still dive a LOT!! i know in reallity that anyone of us can go at any time from any unexpected mishap, diving,driving, or sleeping!! it could happen anytime and or anywere so live and learn and do what you love!! go diving!!

I too, would still be diving. Not exactly the same but close...I was up at Ginnie Springs to do my checkout dives for a cavern course, all geared up walking to the stairs to make entry as we pass a group of people surrounding a victim, CPR in process, EMS arrives, helicopter heard overhead but then turns around before landing (obviously no longer needed), EMS was still on scene when we finally descended and did our dive. It ceratinly puts a new intensity on the dive you are about to do, but would not and did not keep me out of the water.

jim ernst:
i would still be diving, i have had three acquaintances die, all diveing, but all were medical problems!! i still dive a LOT!! i know in reallity that anyone of us can go at any time from any unexpected mishap, diving,driving, or sleeping!! it could happen anytime and or anywere so live and learn and do what you love!! go diving!!

Yeah, if you have to go, you may as well go diving.

yes, but I would get on the treadmill everyday....makes more sense, you know?

I would still be diving too. I'm sure I'd be upset until it was determined what went wrong (especially knowing the lady from class), but I can't waste life worrying about what "might" happen. Perhaps the heart attack was survivable if it happened on land, but then what if she had been driving, or swimming, or any number of other activities.

evad:
Yeah, if you have to go, you may as well go diving.
ya know, i laughed when i read this , but you are so right, i dont want to add to the bad diving type statistics but if i have to go i would love to go while on a wonderful dive and at peace in the ocean!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom