What would you wear to keep warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dubya

Registered
Reaction score
I've done all my diving in water temperatures in the high-70s to low-80s and used a 3mm full wet suit (no hood or gloves) for all my dives.

I plan to start diving a couple times a year in water temperatures in the high-60s to low-70s. I'm looking for recommedations on what to wear underneath (or over) my 3mm to keep warm.

Would you recommend something like a .5mm dive skin underneath the 3mm, or something like a hooded vest or farmer john over the 3mm?--or something else?--or would you recommend a second 5mm or 7mm wet suit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

In high 60's water, I'd probably wear a 6mm longsleeve shorty with maybe a skin or half-mil under it.

7mm and a hood if you're doing long or multiple dives.

Drysuit...

You can change the undergarments to suit the temperature of the water you are diving in. Plus, you dont have to buy three different wetsuit for different water temps, just one drysuit with two or more different undergarments.

yeah, its more expensive than a wetsuit, but it will last about three to four times as long as a wetsuit, plus, it will do alot more for you...

Drysuit...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Drysuit...

You can change the undergarments to suit the temperature of the water you are diving in. Plus, you dont have to buy three different wetsuit for different water temps, just one drysuit with two or more different undergarments.

yeah, its more expensive than a wetsuit, but it will last about three to four times as long as a wetsuit, plus, it will do alot more for you...

Drysuit...

And each of those undergarments will cost more than a new wetsuit.

In those temps, the drysuit would be nice, but it's a *lot* more expensive than a wetsuit.

I think a 7mm full body, or maybe even a 5mm will make you happy.

You could also look to the 5mm semi-dry route.

Oh, I bet if you toss a hooded vest on under the 3mm suit and wore gloves, you'd be fine, too.

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to go the wet suit route (for now), since the majority of my dives will still be in warm water.

I was originally thinking I could layer with a .5mm or 1mm suit underneath the 3mm for dives in the 70s--and then just use the .5mm or 1mm suit in warm for dives over 85 degrees. But it sounds like from the responses that I'd probably need at least a 5mm?

I'd try a hooded vest and gloves. Low 70's isn't real warm, but it's not as cold as what a lot of people dive. In the low 60's I can wear a 6.5 mm fullsuit, hood and gloves and be quite toasty. Keep in mind I'm *always* cold.

I think the idea of getting some layers to mix and match will serve you better in the long run. It's at least worth trying, unless you get a really good deal on something thick :wink:

Rachel

The answer also depends on the type of diving that you're doing in the colder water.

30 minutes dives are one thing.

90 minutes is a whole different animal. That 70 degree water will start to feel pretty chilly.

Yeah, you know what go ahead and buy another wetsuit... Support your LDS...

I have a 5mm jumpsuit, a 5mm two piece suit, a 3mm fullsuit, a 3mm shorty, a 1mm jumpsuit, and a hooded vest...

Then I have my drysuit... its gets more use than all the wetsuits combined... I do dive in a little colder water than you, but I still stick to my recommendation.

Wetsuits are temperature specific, (cant be used for a wide range of temperatures) and they dont last that long. My last shorty only lasted one year. Thats about 100 dives on it. My 3mm suit no longer keeps me warm, thats only got two trips on it to Bonaire (about 50 dives, and some pool dives). My 5mm is only two years old, and I am replacing that soon.

My drysuit however, I have used in water temps down to 31 degrees F and up to 72 degrees F. What kind of wetsuit can you get that much flexibility with??? NONE...
Oh, and my drysuit will outlive about five wetsuits... Just makes more sense to me than throwing money away in wetsuits.

I use some wetsuits for some of my diving, but then again, I am an Instructor... (doesnt cost me as much).

The subject of the versatility of drysuits has come up repeatedly lately and I'd like to offer a personal opinion/observation. I don't know Dubya's experience but my own is rather limited and I have the following comments on drysuits: they are expensive, they take training, they can be dangerous if used improperly (see training), and increase the tasking obligations of the diver.

I would *love* a drysuit. I'm always cold and the surface intervals when diving wet just about do me in, but I'm not great with my buoyancy now, a drysuit will only make that worse; I still have to think about the basic mechanics of diving while I'm in the water, do I really need to add more stuff to think about at this time?

I think that although drysuits are fantastic and I'm thoroughly jealous when everyone around me has one on. I'm better off dealing with the task-loading I have now before I add any further complications to the dive. My dive buddy is a relatively new diver and has a new drysuit, he often loses buoyancy and I spend a decent amount of time watching him float up, then come back down. I'm on the lookout for a runaway ascent at all times. So far so good, but can you imagine both of us bobbing around? We'd look like a freakin' lava lamp.

It's my opinion that diving dry is great, but only when you are confident enough in your skills without one to add the complexity without overtasking yourself. I'm not there yet, so I guess I'll just be cold and wet for now.

JMVHO

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom