What would you want in a $2500 regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually a top notch regolator is less than 500 eur, including a decent octopus:
I really don't see how one can spend more...
It wasn't that long ago you could buy a new sealed HOG D1 (Apex clone) plus classic second for $200

... what features would you want to see in a [hypothetical] $2500 regulator? ...
Ever since I began diving my U.S. Divers DA Aqua Master double-hose reg (that had been upgraded with a 1st gen VDH Phoenix 1st stage and other VDH components) a few years ago, I have really appreciated not only the lack of exhaust bubbles that can obscure one's vision, but also--especially--the relative quiet that results from having exhaust bubbles emerge behind one's lower neck/upper back, rather than near one's ears.

So, a regulator that provides (1) these features of my PRAM and (2) the same effortless breathing of my Scubapro D400 (purchased new ca. 1995) would be worth a pretty premium to me!

rx7diver

P.S. I had fully expected to have my PRAM upgraded again, this time with the newest gen VDH 1st and 2nd stages. In fact, I had contacted Brian (RIP) during the temporary shutdown of VDH (due to supplier problems caused by the COVID-19 pandemic) about scheduling these upgrades, and was planning to ship off my PRAM to Brian once VDH resumed full operations.

What would you want in a $2500 regulator?

So simple -- just an audible alarm should you ever be in imminent danger of contacting "crazy eye" . . .

Here I can buy [for US $2,500].
MK19 and 2 G260 , Perdix2TI and Swift for that money and have $60 AU change [$39.66US].
As an example, a MK19 first sells for US $208.23 , AU $315.
Atomic is over priced here.

Currently this requires one thin wrench. Not worth the complexity and risk of failure to replace this with a quick disconnect.
After I had a APEKS Flight second stage basically fall off of the hose at 110', I definitely do not want "no tool disassembly" to be a characteristic of any regulator that I buy. I am fairly careful with my gear and was very surprised by how easily this happened. That reg will never see open water use again.

To alter an old saying: "There's no such thing as a $2500 regulator, just $2500 Gringos"
Well, there is a tradition of gold-plated Scubapro regs being sold at such prices. Collector items, of course.
But in collectors world the value of items trascend their manufacturing costs...
See here a couple of examples: I would really like to get the second one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom