What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm.. seems like no one thinks MyDiveLog should have stayed down for a safety stop... is that because people are worried the buddy could have had a problem at the surface? because the buddy was inexperienced? or because people believe you should always stay with your buddy? just curious...

how about this hypothetical situation: you and an experienced buddy dive to 103ft, no deco obligation. you are ascend at 30ft / min to do the safety stop, but your buddy keeps going up and blows off the safety stop. do you blow it off also?

scottfiji:
how about this hypothetical situation: you and an experienced buddy dive to 103ft, no deco obligation. you are ascend at 30ft / min to do the safety stop, but your buddy keeps going up and blows off the safety stop. do you blow it off also?
Depends. If I don't know why he blew off the safety stop, then I go up to assist him with his unknown problem. Since the buddy you hypothesized is experienced, I'd consider his blowing off of a safety stop to be an indication that he has some sort of problem.

If he just doesn't like to do safety stops, then I keep an eye on him from below until he gets on the boat.

I'd prefer to have a buddy 50' away and aware of me than a buddy 5' away and oblivious.

(Mark sidles up to the water cooler in the middle of the conversation and says):

MDL, I certainly don't think you did anything wrong under the circumstances, however in future you may find that you see the buoyancy problem earlier, before it got out of hand as it did in this situation. It is very predictable that an inexperienced diver ascending from a deep dive will experience buoyancy changes grater than those that they are used to, so should be watched.

Without knowing what computer you have, it is hard to judge what the "green and yellow areas" really mean, or how close you were to NDL's.

I personally think in this situation it would have been acceptable to descend to complete the safety stop unless some other factor was involved as seems to be in this case (surface current and a hard swim to the descent line).

I think, considering your role as the more experienced diver here, your decision to surface with her was the correct one. I personally have dragged people back down to 30 ft deco stops when they have accidentally broken a deco ceiling and hit the surface.

Ultimately, only you know the criteria you used to decide whether the "less experienced" diver was qualified to make this dive, but you decided that it was OK, and we all have to go through the learning curve and mentoring from more experienced divers is one of the best ways to progress in diving.

When confronted with this type of decision, there are two ways you can Analise it:

1) if all goes according to plan, we should be able to manage it and everything should be OK.

2) if you suddenly have to deal with Sudden, High Intensisty Training, and we will still be able to deal with it then everything should be OK.

If you chose door number one, then you will eventually run into trouble

If you choose door number 2, then when Mr Murphy comes along to mess everything up, you will be ready to deal with the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom