What would you do if attacked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Long before the events of this week, I have thought about what I might do if I am attacked. I work in rough part of town with some rough people. Last year 6 former employees of my company were arrested in separate murder incidents and then many others in a whole host of less serious events. Our building has been broken into a couple of times and I have had to have the police clear the building for me when I arrive in the morning in the dark. I was at the Bilo store a few hours before a former boyfriend took his girlfriend hostage and killed her. I was a walking next to a gal that got her purse snatched. I was in a Zaxby’s and left about 20 minutes before a robbery.

I know that if a big guy attacks me, I am probably not going to win, but I sure am going to fight. Perhaps if nothing else than to collect a little DNA off my dead body to help the police solve the crime and protect someone else in the future. If I am car jacked I am not going to drive the perp wherever he wants and to do whatever he wants, I am going to wreck the car right away in the most public place I can. I will probably get hurt, but with so many folks with cell phones an ambulance will be on the way shortly.

If someone puts a gun or knife in my side and says come with me, I am not going to do it. He may or may not shoot me. If he shoots, he may or may not hit me. If he hits me, it may or may not be in vital place. I will be more likely to get help shot and bleeding in a public place.

I am certainly not strong enough to take on a big guy. If I am lucky I might be able to dig his eye out with my fingers or least maim him a little and let me get away. If I can pluck an eye out I might be able to bite him and take out a piece of him. Sure I am going to make the perp mad and probably get really hurt and killed, but I am not going down without a fight. I have taken self-defense classes and other measures that the law allows.

I try to be aware of my surroundings and avoid places that are risky. You can’t always avoid it and sometimes the risk comes to see you. Just like I do with scuba and try to anticipate the worse and try to think through it ahead of time. I think you have a better chance of surviving disaster if you have prepared ahead of time. Whether it be a hurricane, home fire, flood, tornado, car jacking, attack etc.

So what kind of things have you done or are you going to do or willing to do within the scope of the law? I am not asking for a debate on what laws should or shouldn’t be passed. I wonder how many others have thought through what they would do or are willing to do. Or is your hope that the police or someone else will take care of the problem?

For me, I know that if the time comes and it probably will-- that I am going to fight—probably get hurt—probably hurt very badly and suffer-- and probably get killed—but I am going to fight with all I have.

Curl up in a little ball and cry??

:popcorn:

leah:
Last year 6 former employees of my company were arrested in separate murder incidents...
...many others in a whole host of less serious events...
...Our building has been broken into a couple of times...
...police clear the building for me...
...a few hours before a former boyfriend took his girlfriend hostage and killed her...
If I were you I'd get a new job - somewhere safer. I hear they have openings in Bahgdad :D. I also grew up in a rough part of town, but geeez, after hearing your stuff it feels like I grew up in teddybearville! All we had was the odd drug-assocaited murder/stabbing, the odd grow-op burn down, and the occasional hooker fight.

I've only been attacked once - while leaving the bar. The "robbery" ended quickly when the rest of my rugby team left the bar. I guess he didn't think his little knife would be of much use against 15 very large and angry men...

Bryan

Yeah and in Bahgdad you are allowed to shoot and kill. . . they will even give you the bullets and weapon. . .

I mean of course you can make a comment, I would fight etc etc. But unless you are in that situation, you'd never know...I would like to think since I have cat like reflexes ;-) and do my best under pressure, that I would fight, but who knows...

that's what I really hate about America...in every city, we have rotten spots...and you are really scared going through them, because you have a very good reason to be scared...I mean, I spend a lot of time in Europe, and I'm just never scared or nervous to be walking alone at night or go into a store at night...I really wish USA could be like this...:-(

Hey, I was born in Greenville , SC....lived there for 1 week(Daddy was in the Air Force & his unit got a transfer about the time I was born)...So, as you can guess, I don't remember much about that place....lol....looking @ your report(tuff place), I'm glad we moved......GEAUX TIGERS........

Warthaug:
If I were you I'd get a new job...
Wow...

I agree with Warthaug... If I were you, I'd:
-get a new job...
-move somewhere safer...
-buy extra deadbolts for your doors...
-buy a bigger bed to hide under...
-buy a Chuck Norris mask in case you *have* to go out...

According to a report I watched in which a student in one of the rooms where the shooting took place said that the attacker essentially walked into the room, pointed the weapon(s) and started shooting ...so there was most likely very little time to react.

My instincts and previous military training tell me that I would resist. From personal experience, having been in a few violent confrontations in the past, absolute split second action is generally required to avert agression and/or subdue the perpetrator. There is no time to analyse or think about the situation.

Pretty hard to comment on what happened at VA Tech, since I wasn't there, but that is what I think I would do if personally put in a situation like that.

JackSpearo:
that's what I really hate about America...in every city, we have rotten spots...and you are really scared going through them, because you have a very good reason to be scared...I mean, I spend a lot of time in Europe, and I'm just never scared or nervous to be walking alone at night or go into a store at night...I really wish USA could be like this...:-(

I agree with you for the most part, but there are some spots in Europe that I was really nervous in. There are plenty of bad places.

In an attack scenario you have two choices. Submit or resist. If you submit, you have just agreed to become a victim. Never willingly comply with an attacker. Things rarely turn out well.

If you choose to resist, you stand a far greater chance of escaping the situation. But I strongly suggest learning HOW to resist. Take a self-defense course. As a life-long student of karate I cannot over-stress the value of training. It teaches your body to instinctively do the right thing. In my particular style of karate we practice 15 very simple, quick moves that will incapacitate an attacker in less than a second. Does it work? One student in my class is alive today because she knew how to resist.

We also learn how NOT to look like a victim. Predators look for prey that demonstrates weakness. If he senses that you won't go without a fight, he will move on.

You would be amazed at how having this type of training strengthens your character.

Mountain Dog

Back
Top Bottom