What will you pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few things that Michael and I so often forget to pack and then end up saying " Now why didn't we pack that....again" Are:

1-Alarm clock, (good call Kev). Not commonly in rooms.
2-Our travel size Binoculars. Fun to have to look out over the the water from shore or your room.
3-Our small compact/travel size wine opener
4-Multi plug outlet adapter. However, be careful not to overload
5-An extension cord. We actually use a multi plug/extension with surge protector.
6-A pen for the plane to complete your forms. I actually take a few extra cheap pens and give them to people in need. It's a fun way to make a new friend :)

Have a wonderful trip !!

Sue

Our checked luggage got lost on way to small island off the coast of Tanzania where i stayed for 7 nights to dive. I always fly using my two piece costume as underwear and in my hand luggage I had packed my diving all essentials: my BCD, my regulator and my second skin ( I will never snorkel without this on)and my mask (special lenses). My hand luggage weighted in at 7kg.
So I lived in my costume during the day and the clothes I arrived in, at night, as there was nowhere to buy anything. Hotel guest were fantastic everyone pulled together to assist us. management found us 2 hats and toothbrushes and departing hotel guests offered suntan lotion and even dresses! The dive centre supplied us with wetsuits and fins for free and we had a great holiday and learnt that one really really dont need much luggage
Thus my advice - your handbag (a big one that can hold cameras, books etc and your carry on luggage is the place to put those items you absolutely have to have (only 7 kgs worth of it), the rest - they are just a bonus. Yep, on the return flight my bags were waiting in Dar Es Salaam.....

:eyebrow:All the clothes I'm tired of, and I give them away when I leave. Also a great way to get rid of my excess dive gear... :wink:
YES, I also do this with shorts(dms love them) and old t-shirts. I get a lot of promo shirts with names on them I never wear so I take them down too. My baggage seems to be always heavier than whenI left.

One other itemI always take is a rope for hanging things , just in case there is nothing to hang on. Nylon is the lightest.

Either your dive computer uses an unusual battery or you didn't look in the right places. I have bought dive computer batteries (round flat ones about the size of a quarter - CR2036, maybe?) more than once on Cozumel and the first time was at least five years ago. But batteries are more expensive on Cozumel; I bring lots of C, D, and AA alkalines with me for dive lights and such. Any I have left at the end of the trip I give to the dive op.

My daughter and I were making our packing list today, I checked - CR2450 is what my computer takes. Like I said, its been a couple years, but IIRC I did find a few places that had the round lithiums but nothing near my size. Anyway, whatever, its on our list now. And I will give my extra dive light batteries to the op as well - last year we tried to bring a bunch back home with us, they were confiscated at the airport. You can bring all the batteries in country that you want, only a limited number can leave evidently. Live and learn.

It is very ill-advised to dive off someone elses dive computer. Not a very safe tactic at all. Please dont take this negatively maybe you just didnt know how unsafe it is and I would hate to read about your accident as a result of this practice, I know it doesnt happen all the time but there are safer alternatives. kevin

Agreed. As I said in my other post, live and learn. I learned when I mentioned the same thing to our dive instructor when we got home that year. He lit me up like a pinball machine. Which is why spare batteries are now always the first thing on our packing list.

Don't forget your bug spray...

Bugs love me. Or should I say love to bite/sting me. One thing I don't leave home without anymore is a Benadryl itch relief stick. Topical relief, not a pill. Generic ones work just as well. Active ingredient is Diphenhydramine. I try to keep a Benadryl stick in all of our travel bags for when I start scratching. The stuff works. Try it. Seems to work on hydroids too.
YMMV

Although I will agree in principle that diving on someone else's computer is a very bad idea from a dive plan perspective, I have done it a couple of times when my computer failed at depth. I know that the most conservative approach would have been to call the dive when my computer failed, but you can work with your buddy to communicate that your computer has died, you'll be diving the same profile, and you'll not be pushing limits.

Haha we can go on and on. How many 50# you want to take? I take a 12 cup coffee maker, supplies, two quart thermoses, jugs, kool-aid & sugar, etc - and I don't get elite anymore but most of that is lightweight stuff.

The new, digital luggage scales are nice, to ensure you are not overweight returning.

Last edited:
I second buying the batteries in bulk on eBay and I'd change them before the trip (and bring an extra on the trip if it is >4 dive days). I have 2 computers - one uses CR2032, other uses CR2450. I try to pack essential gear in my carry on (mask, regs, computer, camera + housing), plus one set of clothes. The rest of the divegear I can rent if they don't arrive. If my other clothes (in checked luggage) are lost, I can always buy them in Cozumel (they are cheaper there and I should buy some souvenir shirts anyway). Oh, and sandals, spoon for the occasional snack (yogurt, ice-cream) in the room if a fridge is provided, although you can buy sandals and spoon at Chedraui as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom