What wetsuits do I need to bring to FLA ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
For diving in May or June at the springs or beach dives in shallower depths, what do you need in the line of wetsuits? Are shorties all that are needed or full suits?

Thanks,

Dan T

fookisan:
For diving in May or June at the springs or beach dives in shallower depths, what do you need in the line of wetsuits? Are shorties all that are needed or full suits?

In the springs, you want at least a 3mm. The water stays around 72 degrees. The water should be warming up pretty good in May and June.. depending on where the water temp is.... I dive with a 3mm when it's below 78, then I go to my 1mm.

I've been to the Keys (all shallow dives) in April & Dec. and a 3MM was fine. I would not to go lighter than that, but that's just me. There were some people there using shorties, or just trunks & t-shirt.

fookisan:

Thanks,

Dan T

If you are planning on comming anywhere near Ft Liquordale in June. All you need is skins as the water temps here are in the low 80's. let us all know as a bunch of us do get togethers for beach diving..

well... to be a contrarian... i get cold easily, so i usually use a 3 mil shorty or
the 3 mil bottom of a farmer john, with a skin underneath.

in the springs, i use the full 3 mil farmer john and a 3 mil hood

(i'm such a cold wus that i've now gone to a dry suit)

Oceanwise, the sea lice season runs from Mother's Day to Father's Day (early May to late June) so you're not covering up for warmth - to avoid the criters, you either cover up everything with at least a skin suit or dive naked.
72° water in the springs gets cold after an hour in anything less than a 3mm.

fookisan:

Thanks,

Dan T
Florida is a very long state!
In our part of it (Lower Alabama), the springs are at 68 year round; the Gulf will most likely still be in the 60's on the bottom well into June. We dive full 5 mils with hoods generally. If you're accustomed to cold, a 3 mil might do.
If you're headed anywhere other than the panhandle then the advice already given in previous posts is good.
Rick

Tom Winters:
Oceanwise, the sea lice season runs from Mother's Day to Father's Day (early May to late June) so you're not covering up for warmth - to avoid the criters, you either cover up everything with at least a skin suit or dive naked.
72° water in the springs gets cold after an hour in anything less than a 3mm.

Sea lice...never knew about them. How big are they and do they work the same as head lice? Are the lice more of a problem on beach or boat dives? After a dive anything special to do to combat the lice?

Thanks,

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom