What wetsuit - when you're tall and skinny...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nepper

New
Reaction score
Hello divers,

I'm going to Zanzibar to work as a teacher. I'm a dive master but has up til now only used rental equipment. I've decided finally to buy my own dive gear. I've almost decided on the Aqualung Pro QD bcd and the Legend LX Supreme regulator. Any comments on that choice?

More importantly though since I'm almost 2 meters tall and quite thin I almost always end up freezing my *** off the last 20 minutes of my dives. Zanzibar is of course tropical - but I really want to enjoy the last part of my dives also - any suggestions on what to get?

Kind regards, Nepper

Nepper,

I'm surprised to see you've progressed as far as DM without your own gear, but agree that a good fitting suit will be the first and most important thing for you to get. Many companies like Henderson and O'Neill have suits made in Medium-Tall and Large-Tall sizes. Both of these were too tall for me at 6'1", so they may be good for you.
I'd consider Zeagle BCs and regulators as well... but what else would you expect to hear from me?

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.

Chad Carney:
Nepper,

I'm surprised to see you've progressed as far as DM without your own gear, but agree that a good fitting suit will be the first and most important thing for you to get. Many companies like Henderson and O'Neill have suits made in Medium-Tall and Large-Tall sizes. Both of these were too tall for me at 6'1", so they may be good for you.
I'd consider Zeagle BCs and regulators as well... but what else would you expect to hear from me?

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.

Bare http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/dive.asp Has a broad range of sizes.

Another option is a custom by Atlan, they did a bang up job for my wife.
http://atlaninc.com/docs/diving.html

A close fit with well sealed openings is esential.

Pete

My wife and I worked in Zanzibar as dive Instructors. You might want to re-consider getting anything really expensive, as it will really stand out (we had all of our gear stolen from the shop we worked for). For a BC I would get somthing a lot lighter and more compact than a Pro-QD. Any of the travel BC's or a zeagle would be a better option. You don't need anything aproaching the lift of a full size BC. If I rember correctly alot of the shops had sherwood and scubapro rental regs, so parts would be availaible. Think light, inexpensive and realiable.

Paul

I'm also pretty tall and skinny (6'1, 145); I dive a Henderson Hyperstretch, I'm not sure of the size since it's currently on the dive boat and I'm not. I added 3" to the legs and arms via my LDS and now it fits perfectly. I get cold as well, so I wear a sleeveless shorty under it, and a hood on night dives. This keeps me comfortable on all dives.

As for the Pro QD, I dive a Pro QD+, and I think it's waaaay to bulky. Also it doesn't trim out well: I dive with 4# in the weight pockets and 6# in the shoulderblade-height trim pockets, and I'm still feet-down a bit. Personally I'm planning to switch to a BP/W simply for better trim, lower profile, and a lot lighter travel weight.

I recently dove with a couple who had those regs, and they were very satisfied with them.

hope that helps a bit.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm going to look into some lighter bcds. And I think I'll try to find someone who does really good custom wetsuits.

I wish you good diving...

Nepper

Nepper,

Have a look at "Scubal.com".

the K

nepper:
Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm going to look into some lighter bcds. And I think I'll try to find someone who does really good custom wetsuits.

I wish you good diving...

Nepper

I will add...

If you can be measured and fit personally by the maker this is ideal.

If you can be measured by a dealer who is accustomed to measuring for the maker this is next to ideal.

If you do your own measurements with help at home be carefull, very carefull.

Pete

I have three suits from Liquid Fit. I absolutely love them. The first suit needed some very minor adjustments. Carolyn is an absolute dream to work with.

I am about 1.8 meters (6'1") and weigh 65 kilos (145lb) after a good meal. I have had problems finding a wetsuit to fit my frame but have found a few options while shopping around. Bare, O'neill, Body Glove, and Pinnacle all have a good size selection for us skinny types, MT is a fairly good off the rack fit for me although I wouldn't mind having a couple more cm on the leg and arm. Depending on your weight you might find something in your size there, they all have websites you can check out. Custom or altered suits might be the way to go, I'll have to look into that option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom