What wetsuit should I buy for the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Caribbean I dive in Lycra and my wife dives in 1 mm. I've never seen anyone there diving in 5 mm; the coldest I've seen was a full 3 mm plus a hooded vest and mittens. Most folks dive in 3 mm shorties or Lycra or even in T-shirts/trunks. Some tourists who are "on the colder side" and many of the divemasters (who are often cold because of too many dives) dive in full 3 mm suits.

I live in Belize and have done several thousand dives here. Almost all, regardless of depth, have been in a skin, not a neoprene suit. When I say "regardless of depth" I include 400ft dives to the bottom of the Blue Hole.

My present skin has a very thin and stretchy outer layer with almost a pile liner. Virtually no buoyancy, thick enough not to be revealing (!), dries very quickly on, and comfortable to wear all day. Quite unlike neoprene in several of those characteristics. Mine came from LA and the label simply says "Diveskins". It's the second I've had from that manufacturer, as the first left my possession with a visiting diver (grrr!!) and I can't speak highly enough of it. Light and compact to pack.

Water temperatures here are currently about 84f. Expect them to rise to 85-86 by the time you're here.

I would ALWAYS have a suit with long arms and legs. Pica-pica (jellyfish larvae stings) can be extremely uncomfortable. Seagrass can sting as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom