What wetsuit should I bring in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Philippines best mix for wetsuits - 3/5 shortie with a 1mm full lycra and a hood. With that mix you can adapt to the conditions.

It depends on how cold tolerant you are, and what area. For instance, Puerto Galera gets a little cooler now due to weather and currents, while other areas remailn warmer. Typically the temperature is 28C, but in some areas or times it is 24C. You may find you need more suit where/when it is a little cooler. I see the filipino Divemasters wear two 5mm suits plus hood, for warmth. They think it is very cold, for me it's balmy. It depends on your tolerance.

I dove in PG using a 5mm shortie with hood in January. In other areas I only wear a skinsuit for protection from jellies (0.5mm neoprene). That's most often what I wear. But I am cold tolerant. Probably the shorty plus a hood will cover most situations for most people.

thanks for the input everyone..since I dive 4-6 days a week in a 7mm here in Hawaii..I think I will take the 5mm as I do tend to get cold..would it be overkill to bring a 2mm shorty along as well in case I am too warm in the 5?

thanks for the input everyone..since I dive 4-6 days a week in a 7mm here in Hawaii..I think I will take the 5mm as I do tend to get cold..would it be overkill to bring a 2mm shorty along as well in case I am too warm in the 5?

I prefer to use a 5mm as well but the last couple of trips have been diving a 3/2 with 5mm hood I use with my drysuit here in Seattle. It got me by but on this last trip the 3/2 is pretty thin now and I had a cold. If I had had a 5mm I would have been more comfortable on the 3rd and 4th dive of the day. So it depends on how intensively you will be diving as well 1-2 dives or 3-4-5? Course the hood really helps if you have a shaved head like me. Nothing worse than bumping into something without any hair on your head.:D

It depends on how you dive as well. I have a camera so I spend lots of time just moving my feet in the frog kicking position and hardly my legs at all. With that little movement you won't stay warm anywhere unless it is a lot closer to body temp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom