what wet suit do you wear in texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3mm shorty, 3mm two-piece, drysuit. In TX, I dive Travis and the gulf.

I never wear the shorty, the 2-piece w/hood and gloves down to 65-70F, the drysuit after that...

.5 mm full, 3 mm short, 5mm full, and 3mm beanie. That gets me year-round diving in central TX lakes & rivers and FGB. But those winter lake dives tend to stay under 30 minutes in the 55 degree waters.

3mm full, Whites catalyst Dry, 7mm hood. Getting rid of a 6.5mm two peice soon.

I want to get a 5/4/3 Xcell for that 70* stuff. Too cold (for me) in my 3mm and too much energy expense to dive it dry.

Sites: CSSP (Terrell), Athens, Travis, Gulf

TwoBit

a 3mil or shorty at Athens Scuba Park
a 5mil at Clear Springs, Spring Lake and Lake Travis
probably a 3mil in the Comal River (when I get to dive it)
a 3mil or 5mil in the Gulf

I wear only my suit and a t-shirt untill the water gets to around 65-70º then I'm out of the water until it gets back to 65º. Did I mention I hate wetsuits? If there actually something to see besides mud and rocks and sunken bass boats, I'll put on a 3ml but that's as far as I'm willing to go!

Dive sites in Texas: Twin Lakes, Lake Travis, Clear Springs (couple times a year), hope to try the Comal this summer. Blue Lagoon when it's unavoidable to DM a class.

3mil Hyperstretch jumpsuit -wearever I end up ... in Tx it's mostly Lake Travis, an occassional Comal River ....... timeframe is from whenever it hits about 70 until it drops below 70 ...

6.5 shorty when water is 50 gegrees and shorts and a tee shirt above 65 degrees or 3 mil shorty....

Damon

I use a skin until I hit the thermo at about 25-30 feet in the summer in 80* some water. Then I pull out my backpack and unload a 6.5 full (used to be a 3mil two piece beaver tail) for the 50 some degree water (dang those backpacks affect your drag on top of the b.c., not to mention changing under water. I lost sight of a few buddies doin' that). When surface temps. reach the lower 70's, God says to me "Outta the pool!"

Ice diving dry does sound interesting though.

Dive sites: been mentioned above.

Do I detect an interest in doing Comal River? That would be a great been there done that. May want to go back. How about a Swampsters get-together at Comal this summer sometime? Sounds like it would be as much fun as canoeing the Illinois River.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom