What was your favourite liveaboard ever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most beautiful boat so far was the Dewi Nusantera in Raja Ampat. It was a magical trip but the food was not very good.

Favorite boat is the Carpe Vita Explorer in Maldives. Food is pretty good too.

I wish Nautilus Swell was still in business. That boat is gone and one of the resorts (I believe Gods pocket?) is also shutting down. Makes me wonder what the future of Browning Pass diving is. Must have been one amazing trip for those who were lucky enough to do it.

I believe the owners of God's Pocket are trying to find a buyer, so there's still hope that it will continue.

If I could do one liveaboard a year, it's gonna take me a decade to complete this list already!

God's Pocket just had their lease renewed for thirty years. That will make it much easier to sell. If they don't sell right away I'll get to see Bill and Annie again in April.

There are so many factors that go into this, that for me there is no single answer. Having said that, here it goes (from my experience) ...

Favorite boat: Aquacat. Very spacious and everything seems to be just where it needs to be.
Most luxurious boat: Nai'a (Fiji). It was a gorgeous boat.
Best atmosphere to make you feel "at home": Turks & Caicos Explorer. It may not be the most luxurious boat, but within minutes it will feel like it is your home and the crew are your family.
Best crew: Aquacat. I have been on her 5 times and so it is safe to say that the crew has turned over a few times, but without exception, they work tirelessly to give the appearance that everything is effortless, and they do it all while having a lot of fun. Kudos to the leadership within the organization to develop that in their crews. (The Turks & Caicos Explorer comes in a very close 2nd and must be mentioned.)
Best destination: This would be a toss-up. The weather was horrible the week I was in Fiji on the Nai'a and so it was not a good trip, but it was clear that even though my trip stunk that Fiji is an amazing destination. The other location would be the Socorro Islands off the west coast of Mexico.
Best Camera facilities: Nai'a. They have an entire room where you can store and work on your camera equipment.
Best food: No winner. In my experience, the food on every LOB I have been on has been very good.
Easiest Access (from Toronto): Tie. I can get non-stop flights from YYZ to either Nassau (Aquacat) or Provo (Turks & Caicos Explorer.
Overall Favorite: Just about every LOB I have been on (except one) has something about it that makes me think "I'd absolutely do it again." For me, the people on the boat make a world of difference, perhaps more than the boat or the crew or maybe even the destination. Keep in mind that you will be on the boat for a week or more and if you have a personality conflict with someone then you will be stuck in tight confines with that person until the trip is over. This can make or break a trip as much as any of the other factors. If, however, you are traveling with a great group of people, then it is hard to beat a week spent laughing even if other aspects of the trip "go sideways".

There are so many factors that go into this, that for me there is no single answer. Having said that, here it goes (from my experience) ...

Favorite boat: Aquacat. Very spacious and everything seems to be just where it needs to be.
Most luxurious boat: Nai'a (Fiji). It was a gorgeous boat.
Best atmosphere to make you feel "at home": Turks & Caicos Explorer. It may not be the most luxurious boat, but within minutes it will feel like it is your home and the crew are your family.
Best crew: Aquacat. I have been on her 5 times and so it is safe to say that the crew has turned over a few times, but without exception, they work tirelessly to give the appearance that everything is effortless, and they do it all while having a lot of fun. Kudos to the leadership within the organization to develop that in their crews. (The Turks & Caicos Explorer comes in a very close 2nd and must be mentioned.)
Best destination: This would be a toss-up. The weather was horrible the week I was in Fiji on the Nai'a and so it was not a good trip, but it was clear that even though my trip stunk that Fiji is an amazing destination. The other location would be the Socorro Islands off the west coast of Mexico.
Best Camera facilities: Nai'a. They have an entire room where you can store and work on your camera equipment.
Best food: No winner. In my experience, the food on every LOB I have been on has been very good.
Easiest Access (from Toronto): Tie. I can get non-stop flights from YYZ to either Nassau (Aquacat) or Provo (Turks & Caicos Explorer.
Overall Favorite: Just about every LOB I have been on (except one) has something about it that makes me think "I'd absolutely do it again." For me, the people on the boat make a world of difference, perhaps more than the boat or the crew or maybe even the destination. Keep in mind that you will be on the boat for a week or more and if you have a personality conflict with someone then you will be stuck in tight confines with that person until the trip is over. This can make or break a trip as much as any of the other factors. If, however, you are traveling with a great group of people, then it is hard to beat a week spent laughing even if other aspects of the trip "go sideways".

I totally agree with your opinion that the people can make or break a trip. Wow, I’m kinda surprised you mentioned the Aquacat cause I’ve heard that while the crew and boat were great, the diving was mediocre at best. That really says something about the crew and boat!

Since you’re from Toronto, can I ask if you went with a group/LDS or yourself?

And please let me know which one of the LOBs that you would not go back???

I totally agree with your opinion that the people can make or break a trip. Wow, I’m kinda surprised you mentioned the Aquacat cause I’ve heard that while the crew and boat were great, the diving was mediocre at best. That really says something about the crew and boat!

Since you’re from Toronto, can I ask if you went with a group/LDS or yourself?

And please let me know which one of the LOBs that you would not go back???
For the most part, I dive with a group from Rome NY. (I was stationed in Rome NY twice during my career in the RCAF).

The boat that I would not do again is the Solmar V. I have been on her twice and it is a beautiful boat with mahogany walls and brass and frosted glass accents. The problem, however is that the cabins redefine the word "tiny". The only storage space are a couple cubby holes alongside your bunk (yes, it is bunk beds) and that is it. There is only enough room for one person to stand up in the cabin at a time. If your room-mate is standing up, then you basically have to wait in your bunk till they leave before you can get up. Each cabin has an ensuite head, but the toilet is in the shower so to take a shower, you literally have to straddle the toilet until your shower is done. These are things that I could probably live with except that the two destinations that I have been to on the Solmar V both have roughly an 18-24 hour transit before you get there (Isla Guadalupe and Socorro) and there are other options that are not nearly as crowded at similar price points.

All time favorite trip was on the Rocio Del Mar to the Socorro Islands. It's not the fanciest boat I have been on but it is very clean and comfortable and the crew is the best I have had to date. Food excellent as well. Been on her three times and will be going back to the Socorro Islands on her in 2019.

The Socorro Islands was simply amazing. Big friendly mantas come right up to you and what was maybe even better than that was the close encounters with the dolphins. You typically have to pay extra for a dolphin encounter but not there. They were not one bit afraid and you could actually reach out and touch them if you wanted.

Crew can definitely make or break a trip, but I've run into few problems there. Sometimes they run together in my head and the best crew is always the last one. True in this case, my last trip was Rocio Del Mar and I think they were my favorite crew.

Obviously crew can easily change, but sometimes they are on there for a long time, and the overall personality of a boat I think tends to stay the same over time barring really major changes. (My least favorite liveaboard was one where the entire crew, except for the cruise director, was overall unfriendly and unhelpful. And we did the Cayman Aggressor - yes we made the crossing - when there was a substitute captain who made many things about the week unpleasant. Without him the rest of the crew would have been just fine.)

Crew can definitely make or break a trip, but I've run into few problems there. Sometimes they run together in my head and the best crew is always the last one. True in this case, my last trip was Rocio Del Mar and I think they were my favorite crew.

Obviously crew can easily change, but sometimes they are on there for a long time, and the overall personality of a boat I think tends to stay the same over time barring really major changes. (My least favorite liveaboard was one where the entire crew, except for the cruise director, was overall unfriendly and unhelpful. And we did the Cayman Aggressor - yes we made the crossing - when there was a substitute captain who made many things about the week unpleasant. Without him the rest of the crew would have been just fine.)

Crew dynamics reminds me of work dynamics. The best places I've worked at was because I loved the people. The actual work and even the salary, was 2nd or 3rd priority. If I did not click with the people, I was out. The leader's leadership style, personality, etc. trickles down and is infectious.

My impression of the Cayman Aggressor from reading these boards is...meh, crew, boat and diving (since you can do most from shore, especially if you didn't do the crossing).

Care to name your least favorite liveaboard where the entire crew was unfriendly and unhelpful? That would be a deal breaker for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom