What was your experience with covid testing turnaround time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an international trip coming up soon from the US to Bonaire. Bonaire has a 48 hour test result timeline requirement. I fly out on a Saturday, mid day. I'd love to hear how long it took for others to get their results and how they navigated the required timelines to get tested prior to flying.

In my area, both Walgreens and CVS have covid tests which meets the requirements to travel, but I'm struggling with the timing of getting tested and getting the results within the allowed window.

Since I travel on a Saturday, getting results on Friday, the day before flying, would be preferred. This is really my goal, if possible, to get my results on the Friday before flying.

Walgreens has no available appointments, they are fully booked every time I look. I called them, the store doesn't know when new appointments become available and it looks like you can only book a few days in advance. The inability to confidently book an appointment, is high risk that I might not be able to get an appointment. The rapid testing ID NOW has a quick 1 day turn around and would be great if I could get an appointment on the Thursday before flying. The key word being *if* I can get an appointment. Does anyone have experience booking appointments with Walgreens successfully?

CVS has plenty of appointments and they can be booked 2 weeks in advance. The challenge is, their test results have a 1-2 day turn around. If I got tested on a Wednesday and the results are given to me on Thursday, depending on the time, it could be too early. If I test on Thursday and it takes 2 days, then it could be too late. So I'm struggling with what to do here. If I get a test late Wednesday, could that possibly mean I get a later result time or date? If I got tested early Thursday, could that influence an earlier result date and time?

FWIW, the search feature isn't working for me. I looked 5 pages in and didn't see a similar post. Thank you for any feedback, this is the single biggest stressor I have over the trip at this time.

If there is a Passport Health facility in your area I would look at them. I used them last July and was pleased with the turnaround time on the test and their knowledge of what each Country requires. Plus you could call them and actually talk to someone who could answer your questions.

Hey MrChen

No personal advice from travel. But from the medical field, especially with the current situation in Florida, I would only feel confident with the Abbott ID now test. Our lab based PCR tests have gone from one day turn around to 2 to 4 days with the cuurrent surge. I am sure Florida is no different.

A quick search for your area found this.

Fast Test Now..

You will pay more but for me it would be worth the peace of mind having that test result in hand.

Alliance Health also does a variety of tests Find location and closest seems to be in west palm so a ways from Stuart but yea, we didn't want to chance it with the Walgreens or CVS that seemed to say 3-5 days. We got rapid test in 15mins and PCR in 40 Hrs or so (close to their 24-48hr limit). They are a CLIA lab and use FDA approved tests .. (check the requirements carefully for where you are going.. sometimes lab cert and test type are key for being allowed in too). As others say, lower stress as the flight time approaches is worth a few extra $. We were getting restless at 40 hrs and regretted not paying more for the same day results :wink:.

I have been getting PCR / antigen tests before flying to diving destinations about 7 times (since last December to August) from Quest Diagnostic, Curative and Walgreens. The best option for me here in Lake Jackson, TX, is Walgreens. The back up option is the Curative. They can do the PCR swab test in 1 day in their Houston mobile labs. I think there’s one mobile lab in Stuart, FL:

COVID-19 Testing & Health Services | Curative

Good luck!
Dan

If you look around you can find places that specialize in COVID tests for travel. The place where I go offers PCR tests with two day, next day or same day results, but it isn't free ($50-$250 depending on when you want it back). IMHO, with all the stress of traveling and the chance that you might not be allowed into wherever you are going without the test results in hand makes it a no brainer to me. I'd pay to get the test done and in hand well before leaving for the airport. Maybe things are different in other areas, but near me most of the free drug store tests don't have a guaranteed window for results and if you are cutting it close a window of "2-4 days" or something just won't cut it.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I currently have an appointment Thursday morning with CVS (free) and a fast test scheduled Friday morning ($200). I looked at the Curative site and it says 1 to 2 days. I see some Walgreens idnow appointments available this week, but they haven't opened the schedule up for the days I need. I'll check Walgreens on Tuesday for a Thursday appointment.

Curative in Houston says 1-2 days also, but the 3 times I went there, they emailed me the results in 24 hours and they costed me $0.00

I have an international trip coming up soon from the US to Bonaire. Bonaire has a 48 hour test result timeline requirement. I fly out on a Saturday, mid day. I'd love to hear how long it took for others to get their results and how they navigated the required timelines to get tested prior to flying.

In my area, both Walgreens and CVS have covid tests which meets the requirements to travel, but I'm struggling with the timing of getting tested and getting the results within the allowed window.

Since I travel on a Saturday, getting results on Friday, the day before flying, would be preferred. This is really my goal, if possible, to get my results on the Friday before flying.

Walgreens has no available appointments, they are fully booked every time I look. I called them, the store doesn't know when new appointments become available and it looks like you can only book a few days in advance. The inability to confidently book an appointment, is high risk that I might not be able to get an appointment. The rapid testing ID NOW has a quick 1 day turn around and would be great if I could get an appointment on the Thursday before flying. The key word being *if* I can get an appointment. Does anyone have experience booking appointments with Walgreens successfully?

CVS has plenty of appointments and they can be booked 2 weeks in advance. The challenge is, their test results have a 1-2 day turn around. If I got tested on a Wednesday and the results are given to me on Thursday, depending on the time, it could be too early. If I test on Thursday and it takes 2 days, then it could be too late. So I'm struggling with what to do here. If I get a test late Wednesday, could that possibly mean I get a later result time or date? If I got tested early Thursday, could that influence an earlier result date and time?

FWIW, the search feature isn't working for me. I looked 5 pages in and didn't see a similar post. Thank you for any feedback, this is the single biggest stressor I have over the trip at this time.

I found the same issue with Walgreens. I didn't trust their booking system--not user-friendly--and they didn't guarantee test results within 48 hours.

For my Bonaire trip last month, two days before departure from Atlanta I went to an independent drive-through testing facility (Viral Solutions) and got a free RT-PCR test. Easy-peasy. However, they too did not guarantee results within 48 hours. So, for a backup, I booked an ID NOW rapid molecular test with a doctor's office. They charged $180, I think. Ouch. But it was peace of mind. Turns out, I did not need the backup, as Viral Solutions had my test results to me in about 24 hours. Others in the group I traveled with to Bonaire had similar 24-hour turnarounds with other providers. So, my estimation is that although few of them guarantee it, a 24-hour turnaround is not uncommon presently. Of course, it may depend where you live.

For my recent antigen test, results were within 20 minutes for our flight to Zagreb.

All airports here in the EU seem to offer rapid testing as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom