What was your experience with covid testing turnaround time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just used CVS and DOH for a COVID PCR test for an international flight requirement.

CVS results were back in about 24 hours.

DOH (using LabCorp) got to me about 6 hours after my flight landed!

Definitely recommend CVS! Just know that you have to make an appointment about two weeks out to try and get the date / time you need. They fill up fast.

I'll share my experience for others.

1 month out I scheduled a 3 hour rapid pcr test for the day before my flight for $200.

2 weeks out I scheduled a PCR test with 1 to 2 day results with CVS two days before my flight.

4 days out I scheduled an id now naat test at Walgreens with 24 hour results for two days before my flight.

Once I got the Walgreens appointment, I cancelled the 3hr rapid test for a full refund.

I took both the Walgreens and CVS tests on Thursday before my Saturday flight. I received the Walgreens results within a few hours. The CVS results were received late Friday night around 10:30pm.

Without the Walgreens results, I would have been sweating it if I was relying on CVS. Ultimately I got the CVS results in time.

I printed the Walgreens results and took them with me to the airport. I was flying American airlines out of Miami. Before check-in, while in line, you had to show proof of a negative test. The lady was giving me a hard time because it said naat test and not PCR. She even admitted it was the same thing and claimed Bonaire required PCR results. I started to argue but she said I could proceed, so I didn't press and headed for check-in.

Upon landing in Bonaire, I showed them the naat results and they said thank you and welcome to Bonaire.

There's a LOT of info on SB about the testing to go to Bonaire. See Covid surging in Bonaire for example.
The absolute best choice is ID NOW (typically 1h turnaround) from Walgreens, but not all areas have it. Many are getting their PCR test with "promises" of 24-48h turnaround on Thursday early afternoon for that late morning AA flight from MIA, which apparently you are on, and then ALSO scheduling the ID NOW test for Friday afternoon, just in case. From Walgreens, with insurance, both tests are no-cost to you. The trick on scheduling with Walgreens is that late in evening they post the next three days of appointments, so if you want a Friday test slot, go to the Walgreens site Tuesday night.
Me, I would not even bother with the PCR test. I'd just go with ID NOW on Thursday afternoon or Friday. If something goes wrong with that, then pay a small fortune at the airport on Saturday morning: COVID-19 testing now available daily at MIA

I'll share my experience for others.

1 month out I scheduled a 3 hour rapid pcr test for the day before my flight for $200.

2 weeks out I scheduled a PCR test with 1 to 2 day results with CVS two days before my flight.

4 days out I scheduled an id now naat test at Walgreens with 24 hour results for two days before my flight.

Once I got the Walgreens appointment, I cancelled the 3hr rapid test for a full refund.

I took both the Walgreens and CVS tests on Thursday before my Saturday flight. I received the Walgreens results within a few hours. The CVS results were received late Friday night around 10:30pm.

Without the Walgreens results, I would have been sweating it if I was relying on CVS. Ultimately I got the CVS results in time.

I printed the Walgreens results and took them with me to the airport. I was flying American airlines out of Miami. Before check-in, while in line, you had to show proof of a negative test. The lady was giving me a hard time because it said naat test and not PCR. She even admitted it was the same thing and claimed Bonaire required PCR results. I started to argue but she said I could proceed, so I didn't press and headed for check-in.

Upon landing in Bonaire, I showed them the naat results and they said thank you and welcome to Bonaire.
Are all ID now tests from Walgreens NAAT tests? I’m just worried about them not excepting the test.

Are all ID now tests from Walgreens NAAT tests? I’m just worried about them not excepting the test.
Yes, idnow is a naat test, which Bonaire accepts. AA have me crap about it, saying Bonaire told AA it had to be a PCR test, but let me board. We were about to argue but she said I could go and I opted to let it go and headed for the check-in counter. In Bonaire, they didn't even question it, it met their requirements.

Yes, idnow is a naat test, which Bonaire accepts. AA have me crap about it, saying Bonaire told AA it had to be a PCR test, but let me board. We were about to argue but she said I could go and I opted to let it go and headed for the check-in counter. In Bonaire, they didn't even question it, it met their requirements.
I asked Bonaire Public Health about this specifically, last week. Here is the exchange. They still seem to equate NAAT and PCR but in any case ID-NOW is good for entry.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Public Health via bonairegov.onmicrosoft.com​

Oct 4, 2021, 2:36 PM (6 days ago)

to XXXXXX

Dear Ms. / Mr XXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting Bonaire public health department.

The ID NOW test is also valid and accepted for your entry into Bonaire.
As long as it is a PCR test and NOT an antigen test there will be no problem.

Hope to have informed you accordingly.

Kind Regards,

Publieke Gezondheid - GGD | Samenleving en Zorg
Kaya Gilberto F. Betico Croes 24
Kralendijk, Bonaire, Caribisch Nederland
T: (+599) 715 5311
E: publichealth@bonairegov.com

Van:XXXXXXXXX
Verzonden:
zondag 3 oktober 2021 21:40
Aan: Public Health <publichealth@bonairegov.com>
Onderwerp:Any NAAT or just PCR?
cleardot.gif

The US airlines are confused by your statement that the mandatory test to enter Bonaire is:
NAAT(PCR) test 48 hours before departure
They are interpreting this as meaning only PCR is acceptable. Do you mean any NAAT is acceptable, for example ID-NOW from Abbott labs?

Thank you.

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX, USA

I just wanted to add our experience with testing for travel as a small warning to others who might find themselves in a similar position. My wife and I returned from Bonaire a few weeks ago from a Saturday-to-Saturday trip. About two weeks out, we scheduled PCR tests for the Thursday before travel, through our local CVS. We knew the results were not guaranteed to be back in time, but CVS allows scheduling pretty far in advance. We used it as a backup. The real goal was to secure a Walgreens ID Now test. None of our local Walgreens offers them; the few locations that do are all about an hour away. As most people know, Walgreens schedules three days out. On the Tuesday before travel I was able to schedule a test for Thursday afternoon for myself. My wife was busy with meetings and couldn't do it on Thursday. She was able to schedule a test on Wednesday for the Friday before travel. In the meanwhile, we both took our CVS tests. All seemed good.

I took my Walgreens test on Thursday (and my CVS test earlier in the day) and got the results back in about 2 hours. My wife went the next morning and waited and waited and waited for the results. I finally got her to call and ask about the results and they told her that she did not have enough of a sample on the swab to get a result. By this time it was getting late in the afternoon. Fortunately, they had an available test slot open and told her to come right in. Another long drive through massive rush hour traffic, but she got the test done.

Meanwhile, as we waited for the results, she got her CVS results back. However, they messed up her birth year. Then, several hours later, the Walgreens results came in. By this time is was Friday night, the day before travel. We were on pins and needles. We had her CVS results, but we didn't know if the authorities would accept it because the birth year was incorrect (and we couldn't fix it because it was a MyChart issue that had to be resolved by Epic, during work hours M-F).

In the end it was all fine. But the moral of the story for us was not to wait until the day before to get a test done, and to account for the possibility that the test could be screwed up or the information incorrect. Give yourself time to be able to take another test or to correct any issues!

I have traveled a few times in the past year and our local CVS (Eastern PA) had been consistent with a 1 day turn around on PCR tests. Typically we would go in the morning and have the results early afternoon the next day. Appointments can be made about two weeks out, so it is easy to scheduled. Result time will be heavily dependent on the local lab. If there are high infection rates in your area, the labs will be busier. Fortunately, my are has a high vaccination and low infection rate.

My recently Bahamas trip allowed for vaccinated travelers to get a rapid antigen test. I did mine at CVS and got those results in about 20 minutes (phone call) and they are uploaded to the portal in about an hour.

All that being said, 48 hours is tight. Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom