What was wrong with your worst equiped charter boat ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrodiverrr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was on a very enjoyable charter boat for a week in Dominica. I was skeptical of the oxygen that was on board. The o2 had been spray painted in place when the rest of the boat was last painted, amd that didn't look to recent. On a trip to Marathon FL our group tried to book an AM charter and was told the boat was full for the next morning but we could go out in the afternoon. After we boarded the boat it wouldn't start. After removing the hatch one of our group helped to repair the motor with parts found in the bilge. (amazing how the boat was full in the morning and wouldn't run in the afternoon). When we returned from the dives the captain kept bumping the bow into the dock in order to get turned around as the reverse wasn't working.

I was on a very enjoyable charter boat for a week in Dominica. I was skeptical of the oxygen that was on board. The o2 had been spray painted in place when the rest of the boat was last painted, amd that didn't look to recent.
On the positive side, you have first hand proof that this is a safe operation, since you know they have never needed that O2! :rofl3:

The worst I have personally experienced was a transmission on a boat in Belize. Luckily the pilot noticed it early on our Blue Hole run, we docked and got a smaller, less comfortable but more reliable boat for the day.

Of course once we got out to the atolls, we were pointed to a brand spanking new shipwreck, another dive boat that caught fire and sank in place just the week before! :shocked2: All hands were rescued by a different boat, and I suppose the divers had a great story to tell and an interesting last dive getting their belongings off the bottom.

That incident taught me not to complain, as things could really be much worse!:crafty:

I was on a boat off of the Upper Keys one time on which the crapper didn't work. You know how it is when you come up, right? No matter how many times you pee while diving you just have to go one more time just after boarding. With a mixed crowd that creates a problem for some. Since I couldn't hold it all the way to the dock it had to go off the back. Several other males followed in line. The females all waited but it was a rush to the dockside toilet for them. Another time the bearing on one of the prop shafts started going out but we made it in OK. And one time a prop hit some coral at low tide and caused some vibration but we came in on one engine, no problem.

Dove on the Vandy a few years back. On the way out the boat overheated half way there! Had to wait about 20-30 min. for the engine to cool down and off we went to the dive site at about 7 knots. Very slow and miserable ride, but the good news is we were able to dive the Vandy and make it back. Just took a 2 hour boat ride there and another 2 to get back!

One dive boat I went on had a leak over the bow decking that wet the bunks below. Hard to sleep on a soaking wet mattress! Another boat's compressor broke after the first of a three-tank dive day. These were both in the US. I have had better luck on boats in Bonaire and Cozumel.

My theory is that there is always something wrong with any boat, and the older the boat, the more problems there are likely to be. The passengers only find out about it if the captain and crew can't hide it.

One of my fellow divers was completely devoid of understanding. Very sad.

LBHeyman: What's the Vandy?

If it leaves the dock and returns to the dock, all is good.

Twin Faber lp 100s and can light stuck in the seat-rack with me attached. Oh and a boat driver bringing his non diving fiance on a blokes only trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom