What was the most influential development in scuba diving?

What technology (or piece of equipment) had largest impact on recreational diving?

• The SPG

• Mixed gases (nitrox)

• The dive computer

• BCD

• The octopus

• Training (OW, AOW, Wreck, Cave, Tech, etc)

• Thermal protection (wetsuits, drysuits)

• Digital photography/video

• Dive Travel

• Pee valve (late addition)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The obvious answer is Scubaboard.com. Prove me wrong.
Nah. you made the assertion. You have to prove you are right.
By the way, saying that makes you sound like a Facebook meme, or a 10-year-old.

Nah. you made the assertion. You have to prove you are right.
By the way, saying that makes you sound like a Facebook meme, or a 10-year-old.
Aye aye Capitan Obvious.

You'd be surprised: There is so much more information in a well-recorded vinyl LP than in a 44.1 kHz CD. A high-end analog hi-fi system can bring it forward, no problem. Don't take my word for it. Go visit a shop that sells this equipment and see (hear) for yourself!

A CD is more convenient, though. It has that going for it...

rx7diver
What is this CD thing you speak of? Some obsolete technology? With four working turntables and a few thousand vinyl LPs I think I am set for music as long as I can hear it!

SCUBA subject, probably the spg, then the octopus and then the computer. As a photographer I would say digital except I am less than impressed with the way the stuff is obsolete before I unpackage it.

James

What is this CD thing you speak of? Some obsolete technology? With four working turntables and a few thousand vinyl LPs I think I am set for music as long as I can hear it!

Looks like you have excellent options for where to spend time decompressing!

The demand regulator #1 biggest impact.

Why isn’t the BCD the most impactful on rec diving? I remember diving without a BCD, so I’m thinking the evolution of the BCD made diving a lot more fun and enjoyable for the masses……. which inspired a need for things like the SPD and a computer.

I think of the BCD and PDC like features on a car. ABS brakes, automatic transmission and power steering were not essential to driving, but they did make it easier, safer and more enjoyable to drive. You can learn to pump the brakes, start on a hill or parallel park without those features, but why?

BCDs and Computers are not essential for diving, but damn, they are convenient and easy to use….
Many of us still find joy in rowing our own gears, even though automatic transmissions these days have better fuel economy and better performance.

You can tell the people who grew up with manual steering and those that only have had power steering. Watch them in a parking lot. If they are at a full stop and spin the steering wheel to full lock, they have only owned/driven power steering. If you see them turning the wheel while at a slow roll, it is someone who has grown up with manual steering. They know that a slow roll is easier to turn the wheel, even if just subconsciously.

I think of the BCD and PDC like features on a car. ABS brakes, automatic transmission and power steering were not essential to driving, but they did make it easier, safer and more enjoyable to drive. You can learn to pump the brakes, start on a hill or parallel park without those features, but why?

BCDs and Computers are not essential for diving, but damn, they are convenient and easy to use….
Totally agree on the BC and computers.

I would probably still drive a manual transmission if I could find one in the vehicle I like. It hasn’t even been an option in my last few vehicles.

Having a manual transmission sure saved my butt many years ago. A few friends and I were spending a week in Tennessee. On the way up, the starter on my car went out. Got by the whole trip by selective parking. Always made sure the car was facing downhill so I could get a rolling start. The house we stayed at was the only spot that posed a challenge the whole trip.

Driveway was steep and curved, but not too long. I essentially had one shot with this driveway. I started the car rolling and when I got rolling fast enough, I’d pop the clutch, then once it started, I’d have to depress the clutch and slam on the brakes. If I popped the clutch too soon, it wouldn’t start, and I didn’t have enough room for a second try. Pushing the car back up the hill was not going to happen. If I popped the clutch too late, I wouldn’t have been able to stop the car before hitting the house. I got real good at timing that.

Totally agree on the BC and computers.

I would probably still drive a manual transmission if I could find one in the vehicle I like. It hasn’t even been an option in my last few vehicles.

Having a manual transmission sure saved my butt many years ago. A few friends and I were spending a week in Tennessee. On the way up, the starter on my car went out. Got by the whole trip by selective parking. Always made sure the car was facing downhill so I could get a rolling start. The house we stayed at was the only spot that posed a challenge the whole trip.

Driveway was steep and curved, but not too long. I essentially had one shot with this driveway. I started the car rolling and when I got rolling fast enough, I’d pop the clutch, then once it started, I’d have to depress the clutch and slam on the brakes. If I popped the clutch too soon, it wouldn’t start, and I didn’t have enough room for a second try. Pushing the car back up the hill was not going to happen. If I popped the clutch too late, I wouldn’t have been able to stop the car before hitting the house. I got real good at timing that.
Fond memories of turning off the engine and coasting down hill the last couple of miles to my parents house as a kid. It was a pretty gentle grade and when I was down to 1 or 2 miles per hour, I would pop the clutch and drive the last hundred yards into the driveway. No way would I try that today with power brakes and steering. A hill was more reliable than a set of jumper cables in the old days.

My daughter has an early Prius and she can’t even get the door unlocked if starter battery is dead.

Well, hmmm, the greatest innovation:

SCUBAPRO
!
:wink:

Deep down you know you want the best.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom