What was the most influential development in scuba diving?

What technology (or piece of equipment) had largest impact on recreational diving?

• The SPG

• Mixed gases (nitrox)

• The dive computer

• BCD

• The octopus

• Training (OW, AOW, Wreck, Cave, Tech, etc)

• Thermal protection (wetsuits, drysuits)

• Digital photography/video

• Dive Travel

• Pee valve (late addition)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, and maybe @CT-Rich chose "impact" intentionally for its vagueness, so people could answer in any way that made sense to them. I interpreted "impact" as meaning contributing to growth of the sport, but I suppose "impact" could also be contributing to increased enjoyment of the sport. It could be interpreted as anything. Everything has some type of impact. Without defining impact, the poll results may reflect people comparing apples with oranges.
The goal of the poll was to have an interesting discussion, not to pick a “winner”. I just thought it would be fun to read why people made the choices they did. The vagueness was intentional.

The goal of the poll was to have an interesting discussion, not to pick a “winner”. I just thought it would be fun to read why people made the choices they did. The vagueness was intentional.
I figured. And it has been interesting. Thanks.

So I suppose my answer to the poll would be that several of the poll choices had the largest impact on the particular aspect of diving they relate to. I would say the SPG had the largest aspect on rec diving safety (though somehow people still lose track of their gas consumption), the dive computer had the largest impact on rec diving convenience and enjoyment (I still hate tables), dive training had the largest impact on growth of the sport beyond would-be navy seals, etc.

As an instructor in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I would say the SPG and BCD combined with changes in training content and methods had the most significant impact on opening the sport of scuba to the more of the masses.

As a diver since the late 60s, I'd say the dive computer, Nitrox, digital photography and dive travel have had the most influence on increasing my time in the water. Yes, I'd still likely be diving, but each of those had significant impact on the ease and desire to spend more time underwater.

Thought about thermal protection - while it expanded the range of diving as I was primarily a cold water diver, it means little now as most of my diving is in warmer waters.

I think of the BCD and PDC like features on a car. ABS brakes, automatic transmission and power steering were not essential to driving, but they did make it easier, safer and more enjoyable to drive. You can learn to pump the brakes, start on a hill or parallel park without those features, but why?

BCDs and Computers are not essential for diving, but damn, they are convenient and easy to use….

I have for many years and would dive without a PDC, no problem. I dont understand why its getting so many votes. It would mean more conservative dives, but I'd still be diving.

I wouldn't dive without a BCD. Not in Calif. waters with a thick wetsuit and probably not even a shallow dive in warm water. I know they used to in the old days, but I aint going back. I dont consider a BCD a mere feature, or convenience, I consider it a needed safety feature.

My vote is either BCD, SPG, or as folks have properly pointed out that I wouldnt be diving if not for widely available training.

As always, different strokes for different folks, and good topic for discussion.

Interesting and very "vinyl" in comparison with contemporary "digital".

Back in 1984 I bought my first CD player (Sony D50 -- still have it somewhere!). I would never think of going back to that awful vinyl experience to click, hiss, listen, click, hiss, click, to music.

You'd be surprised: There is so much more information in a well-recorded vinyl LP than in a 44.1 kHz CD. A high-end analog hi-fi system can bring it forward, no problem. Don't take my word for it. Go visit a shop that sells this equipment and see (hear) for yourself!

A CD is more convenient, though. It has that going for it...

rx7diver

You'd be surprised: There is so much more information in a well-recorded vinyl LP than in a 44.1 KHz CD. A high-end analog hi-fi system can bring it forward, no problem. Don't take my word for it. Go visit a shop that sells this equipment and see (hear) for yourself!

A CD is more convenient, though. It has that going for it...
Convenience; that was the massive benefit of a CD. None of that Japanese Tea Ceremony to place the sacred disc on the turntable and clean it with the magic (carbon fibre) brush.... Just slap the CD in and it played fantastic quality.

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold - Telegraph Road never sounded as good as the dynamic range of the CD, even with headphones.

Sigh. (As in memories of 1984...)

The obvious answer is Scubaboard.com. Prove me wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom