What type of wetsuit for this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrunken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be in Maui next week and I'm wondering is a 3/2 is going to be warm enough? Our local dive shop (SeaTaSea) has a pretty good deal on 3/2's, but they told me that they might night be warm enough for Maui and that I might need a 5/4 instead (which they don't have in my size).

I know that I can rent them out there, but I'd rather have one that fits me confortably rather than one that's a size or 2 too small (which is what I usually get stuck with in my limited experience).

Thanks

-Jason

Aloha Jason!

We dive with a 3mm full all year round, but we do have some natural insulation :blush: I know some folks that wear 5mm and others that don't wear a suit at all.

In the end it depends on you - what you are used to and how much diving you will be doing. Do you get cold easily?

If you tend to get cold and have a shorty too you might want to bring it along just to be safe and you can layer it to keep your core warm. You might want to ask what the dive op has, if they use shorties you could use theirs to layer.

The water temps should be in the mid to upper 70's.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

You didn't say what your size is. If you weigh over 200 pounds you'll probably do just fine in a 3/2. If you weigh 130 that 5/4 will be looking good. We're adding shorty suits over the top of 3 mil suits right now for a lot of our more slender customers to keep the chill off... been 73/75 lately in Kona. A neoprene beanie is a good 15-18 buck investment.

Water temp is increasing so you should be fine! I have been diving a 3mm and only been chilly on the boat trip after the first dive which is in the early am. If you are diving later in the day you will be just fine!

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom