What type of wetsuit for Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is the water similar to SABA, St. Martin or USVI for cold?

What type of wetsuit do you use for Bonaire?

Depends on the time of year you go and how much diving you do. We always go in July when the water is 80-81 degrees and take 3mm full suits. Since we do at least 4 dives per day that are at least an hour long, sometimes I get chilly during the 3rd and 4th dives, but the sunshine warms me up quickly.

I've seen everything from swimsuits only (not uncommon at all) to 5mm suits, and I know there's an SB member who wore his dry suit!

Plan on 80 deg +/- 2 deg. Personally I use a fleece lined skin or a 1/8 shortie comfortably. On the other hand, a buddy of mine use a full 5mm plus a hood so it depends on your tolerance to temperature.

I usually take a full 3 and a 5. That way I can tailor my coverage to how cold I feel. Also, if I take 2 suits, that usually allows me to have a dry or near dry one to put on for the night dives. . If I only had room for one, I'd take a 5 in winter and a 3 in summer. Not a fan of shorties as they offer less protection from stinging stuff.

This past March the temps were 78 to 79 and I was most comfortable in a 5/4 full wetsuit.

Last time I was there I wore a 3mm full for morning dives and then added a 5mm vest for afternoon and evening dives. I always wear a beanie as well.
My dives averaged 75 - 90 minutes, so even in 80 degree water I was getting a bit chilled by the end of each dive.

Past few times I have dove Bonaire, I started the week with a 3mm full, and then added a shorty on top of it when I started to get cold mid week. Water temps where I used this set up ranged from 80-86. Hope that helps

We got back from Bonaire last night. Did 14 dives, all with a skin, and neither of us was ever cold. I had a 5 and my wife had a 3/2, never got them wet. Lots of folks in shorties.

Yep, got to know how much diving you'll do, and your tolerance to cold.

For a week of diving in Feburary, I wore a full 3mm, and my sister (worried about getting cold) wore a 5mm. I don't think either regretted our choices.

It's a tropical area, 80-85 year round, in recreational depths. Don't know about technical dives.

A lot of it depends on what you are acclimatized to. When I was down in January the temp was around 79 all week and I was comfy in a 3mm our hosts who are originally from Canada but living for several years in Bonaire felt that 79 was very cold and wanted to get a dry suit for that time of year. On another occasion I snorkled with my brother-in-law in Laguna California. He was fine in a swimsuit but I needed a full 7mm with hood as it was 58 degrees. It is probably best to just ask "what are the temperatures running?" rather than what exposure protection is needed for warmth as it varies so much from individual to individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom