What type of waterproof case to buy for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier, do you have any examples of waterproof glasses cases? I was planning to leave my glasses and/or sunglasses in the truck, cause i didn't think my glasses would be of any value to anybody other than me (odd prescription), but I'm starting to reconsider.

I don't think my prescription is odd, but the chances of finding someone on Bonaire that could use my glasses are remote. But, since most thefts out of trucks at dive sites are by kids, they will probably take anything, and sort through it later. The inconvenience of having my glasses stolen (I do pack an extra pair) is enough that I decided to use one of these.

Note that it is not waterproof (at least not to any depth that a diver would be at). I don't care. I found it inexpensive, and it is pretty much crush proof for circumstances that a dive would be subject to. I know the o-ring on mine is damaged, and a new one might make it more water tight, but I really don't care if my glasses get wet, as long as they are not bent/broken.

I put a $20 bill in this case, so it is not floating loose in my pocket (think dry suit pockets on my wet suit). Like I said before, I don't carry my driver's license with me, and it doesn't hurt if the bill gets wet. I've presented wet bills to merchants and none has even looked surprised.

This is what we use on Bonaire, Buy Suprema Super Sport SUPSPRSPRT with reviews at scuba.com The housing is large enough for a wallet and keys or a cell phone and keys. For snorkeling, I would get a better lanyard than the one that comes with it. Very good housing, just don't expect much from the camera. I think the one we got on Ebay was around $10 plus shipping.

Thanks for the ideas! How are these boxes or cases attached to you while you are snorkeling? We won't have a BC to put anything in, so do we just attach it to our clothes and have it dangle or in a pocket?
Witz "Keep-It Clear" Dry Case, Medium This one is a little wider than the one suggested above. It has about an 18" lanyard with a keeper - I wear it around my neck and tuck it into my shirt. Haven't lost one (the same one) in over 6 years. No leaks ever. And I dive with it.

WTZKIC.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom