What type of waterproof case to buy for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennfl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are leaving for Bonaire in just five weeks! So excited.

We'll just be snorkeling, but need reccomendations on what type of waterproof case or whatever you call it we should buy to keep our keys, drivers license, a little money in?

We plan to be drivng around the island and snorkeling like crazy everywhere.

Thanks so much.

Jenn

As a dive guide,I carry (2) cheap waterproof boxes: (1) 6"x6" for my "save a dive" stuff & a smaller one for my cell, PAS camera,& wallet. These waterproof boxes can be bought at Walmart for a couple of bucks in the sporting goods department.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

It's a risk but our group would hide these items in our truck rental and just kept these things out of sight. We left the windows down and the doors unlocked - no problems whatsoever. With anything being attached to you while in the water, you also run the risk of losing it there.

Anyway I know REI or most outdoor/sports stores carry plenty of waterproof holders:
Waterproof Cases at REI.com

I use an otterbox diving. It's rated to 180'. Kept money etc dry while we were down in Bonaire.

Thanks for the ideas! How are these boxes or cases attached to you while you are snorkeling? We won't have a BC to put anything in, so do we just attach it to our clothes and have it dangle or in a pocket?

We are leaving for Bonaire in just five weeks! So excited.

We'll just be snorkeling, but need reccomendations on what type of waterproof case or whatever you call it we should buy to keep our keys, drivers license, a little money in?

We plan to be drivng around the island and snorkeling like crazy everywhere.

Thanks so much.

Jenn

Jenn,

If keys, drivers license and a little money are all you are concerned about, I suggest:

1) Leave the driver's license in your room - assuming you'll be driving a rental car/truck, you driver's license info is recorded on the rental papers, which you would have in the truck (probably the glove box). If you really did need your driver's license, you could always go get it. I have never carried my license when diving. This does mean that you can't cash traveler's checks and such on the way to/from dives. Not a big problem for me.

2) The keys and cash don't need to be kept waterproof - at least all the trucks I've rented on Bonaire. I simply clip them off in my pocket. I also carry a $20 bill in my pocket. It spends just fine when wet. Again, this limits you from shopping on the way to/from the dive sites, but again, I never found this a problem.

I found a used used-to-be waterproof glasses container that I carry in my other pocket for my prescription glasses. Again, it is no longer waterproof, but it is crush-proof. I don't like leaving my prescription glasses in the truck...nothing of any value should be left in the trucks.

On the other hand, if you are considering taking electronics (cell phone, MP3 player, etc.) or a camera that isn't already waterproof (they make some that are waterproof to 10-15 feet or so), then you do need a waterproof container. I'm not sure where you would put a container that large, unless you have huge pockets, or wear a fanny/back pack. I'd look into one of the less expensive waterproof cameras (that are waterproof without an additional housing) which are small enough to put in a pocket, and easy to use while snorkeling. I would also have some sort of lanyard attached to the box and camera that I could attach to my clothing as a safety leash. Maybe a large safety pin or diaper pin in you don't have a loop to clip a bolt snap.

Another suggestion is to sew a plastic clip onto your swimsuit/wetsuit that would allow you to clip on the keyring and your leash if you go that route.

We use the Witz cases, they work just fine. A cord around your neck keeps them in place. On Bonaire we had sunglasses stolen out of our rental truck, and they went through everything else pretty well, even our lunch box, so we were glad we had our valuables in the boxes with us.

Waterskier, do you have any examples of waterproof glasses cases? I was planning to leave my glasses and/or sunglasses in the truck, cause i didn't think my glasses would be of any value to anybody other than me (odd prescription), but I'm starting to reconsider.

Back
Top Bottom