What type of socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I finally had a chance to take my fusion to the pool for a dry run since I've never dove a drysuit. As my LDS keeps their pool at 92 degrees (they also run a swim school) I didn't bother with the undergarmet. But looking at it I'm not sure what kind of socks to wear for warmth. I have the 3mm neoprene sock/soft boot but as near as we could tell it goes on the outside to protect the suit's sock (my shop is a DUI shop so they are unfamiliar with Whites).

I was thinking of getting a pair of boot socks to wear as they are designed to pull away sweat and are poofy enough to provide warmth. The undergarmet I got is the MK2.

As my LDS keeps their pool at 92 degrees (they also run a swim school) I didn't bother with the undergarmet.

Pretty much defeats the purpose of testing the suit. Its the performance of the underwear that dictates weighting, how much gas that needs to be used and the speed in which gas dumping can happen.

Anyways. I use felt boot liners for my feet. They are by far the warmest "socks" I have ever used for my drysuit.

Hello,

The 3mm neoprene sock is designed to be worn inside the Fusion for thermal protection on your feet. The best thing to do is first wear a thin moisture wicking sock, such as Nike dryfit, then layer the 3mm neoprene sock over top. This combination works great.

The boots that come with the package, either the EVO3 or the attached boot, are designed to be worn on the outside as a protective layer for the Fusion sock. If you have any more questions please PM me.

Cheers,

Justin

I normally use wool or wool blend hiking socks underneath, they have enough loft to prevent the dreaded foot squeeze. Plus they retain some warmth even when wet.

Hello,

The 3mm neoprene sock is designed to be worn inside the Fusion for thermal protection on your feet. The best thing to do is first wear a thin moisture wicking sock, such as Nike dryfit, then layer the 3mm neoprene sock over top. This combination works great.

The boots that come with the package, either the EVO3 or the attached boot, are designed to be worn on the outside as a protective layer for the Fusion sock. If you have any more questions please PM me.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks. Would normal cycling socks be enough of a wicking sock?

Pretty much defeats the purpose of testing the suit. Its the performance of the underwear that dictates weighting, how much gas that needs to be used and the speed in which gas dumping can happen.
The orientation was simply to test the seals and make sure I knew how to operate the suit and do the feet tuck. When I get out to the cold water I'll do the weight check.

I use on the outside, a waterproof sock from my whitewater/ice climbing days and inside I use mountaineering socks and a thin wicking sock. Outside of the fusion, I used snazy Chuck Taylors and gets a laugh from everyone I dive with.

Hello,

3mm of neoprene to keep your feet warm? That will compress at depth giving the diver little to no thermal protection?

I don't think so.

I use a polypro hiking sock, and over it a poofy fleece sock, and that works very well in water down to 45 degrees. The key is not to lace the boots (or whatever you are using) so tight that they overcompress the insulation.

I found them to be minimally useful in colder water (I dive Puget Sound, which is mid-fifties right now and low forties by February). They work well in water above about 60 degrees. I typically wear a wool blend boot sock underneath them.

The boots that come with the package, either the EVO3 or the attached boot, are designed to be worn on the outside as a protective layer for the Fusion sock.
I've been using Altera boots, which I was saddened to hear you were discontinuing. However, as my Fusion's currently in your shop being retrofitted with the new Fusion boots, I don't think I'll be missing the Altera's too much ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom