What type of socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3mm of neoprene to keep your feet warm? That will compress at depth giving the diver little to no thermal protection?

I don't think so.

Neoprene material can be utilized as a "thermaly correct" material to reduce heat loss in a number of manners. It is true that at depth neoprene compresses and loses some insulation properties.

This is common knowledge.

However in a Drysuit you are adding air to offset a squeeze which allows your undergarments to retain some loft and greater insulation properties.

Also the 3mm neoprene sock is not designed to provide warmth in the same manner as a wetsuit (trapping water next to your body thus allowing it to be heated) Instead the neoprene in the 3mm sock is used to trap your body heat and prevent it from escaping. Also it provides that extra barrier between a divers body and the actual shell of the suit which creates the "layering" effect.

I will agree that these socks have thier limitations and every diver reatins heat at various levels. I personally dive the 3mm sock in the Pacific North West on a weekly basis and it works great for me, but i do know divers who require more warmth.

The Whites MK3 sock is a great option for the ultimate in warmth. It contains Primaloft, the same insulating material as our MK3.

Cheers,

Justin

I just use a normal wool hiking sock. As stated above wook retains much of its insulation value even when wet, and not stated above, it already has some natural wicking properties to it. I used to use thin poly pro socks underneath as a wicking layer, but I have found that it just isn't required.

The socks work fine in 75 degree water all the way down to 35 degree water.

However in a Drysuit you are adding air to offset a squeeze which allows your undergarments to retain some loft and greater insulation properties.
Which cannot be added to neoprene or a moister wicking sock. There is no loft to "fill"

Also the 3mm neoprene sock is not designed to provide warmth in the same manner as a wetsuit (trapping water next to your body thus allowing it to be heated)
Which is not how a wetsuit keeps a person warm either. (Hint: The water is robbing heat from you. Its the bubbles in the neoprene that is trying hard not to allow heat to escape.)

i just use a normal wool hiking sock. As stated above wook retains much of its insulation value even when wet, and not stated above, it already has some natural wicking properties to it. I used to use thin poly pro socks underneath as a wicking layer, but i have found that it just isn't required.

The socks work fine in 75 degree water all the way down to 35 degree water.

+1 :d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom