What type of signaling device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon:
Thanks for all the good advice! And of course Gordon, you are very honorable! I will raise a Leon in your honor by the pool! :wink:
Glad you're happy. Hope you didn't expect us to agree or anything similar...? :11:

:shakehead

Between my husband and me, we own four different brands of SMBs. We've tried them all. They are all either semi-closed or closed (I see no utility to an open-ended SMB, as you really can't depend on deploying them from depth.) To my exasperation, I concluded that by far and away the best is the Halcyon SMB. It's not cheap -- It costs almost twice what the least expensive one we bought cost. But it has a number of advantages.

It has an over pressure valve. It has an inflator which is compatible with oral inflation AND inflation from an LP hose. It is a 6' bag, so it's pretty visible at the surface. It has elastic rather than Velcro to contain it. (Velcro is FAR easier to reclose, but much more difficult to open, and I'm more likely to be stressed when I need to SHOOT the bag than when I need to restow it).

Peter likes his semi-closed Zeagle bag, but it's bigger and the oral inflate valve is less friendly. Just mentioned because preferences may be personal.

Going to stick my neck 'way out here but what the heck. It feels to me like this discussion of what kind of surface indicator to use completely disregards the whole issue of sending them up.

I've carried one for a very long time, with the intent that if, when I surfaced and there wasn't a boat in sight, I'd inflate it to let other boats know I was in the water and as a signal to my boat the same. Most dives in Coz the DM takes care of this so you need never worry about having to send your own reel up.

During my most recent trip to Coz, I decided to learn how to deploy it from depth as a safety measure. Not something I've ever had to do on my own and not as easy as it looks. There are some skills you need to practice! Believe me, I had a couple of faster rides to the surface than I intended! Inflating the tube can quickly make you positive as it fills with air...especially depending on your depth. Then add the factor of current which can dramatically change things....

So while discussion may carry on as to which is the better colour or which is the better type of inflation device, I'd caution that anyone planning to deploy these things that they first have some training.

Hey, I had a lot of things to keep in mind as I did this - what was my depth and how would that affect the inflation, where were other divers (and their lines) around me to avoid entaglement, how did I keep the line clear from entaglement from my gear to avoid a fast ride to the surface, etc. etc.

I know it sounds goofy, but maybe DAN can come up with a certification for this...they've got certs for skills a whole lot less challenging on the scale of health risks. (JOKING!)

My home bud had to deploy his at depth in his Aow - I didn't but practiced it later. Then on a recent trip to Santa Rosa NM, I deployed mine form 70 feet, and he decided to do the same - but got to watching his reel and starting drifting up. He caught his drift, but then had line all around his tank. I had mine already out, so I can to untangle him while holding mine. Tricky, but no current.

For Cozumel, we kept them on our BCs, but never did deploy them. Ready, but didn't feel the need. WE both carry small ones that do not affect our buoyancy. As suggested, generally not the place to learn and practice - but good to have in the water in case.

On the drift in Cozumel, the smb's were usually sent up from the safety stop or there abouts by the DM. As Marg said, it looks a bit more tricky in the current, and is definately worth practicing ahead of time. I noticed they didn't put much air at all in them (closed style), a breath or two or a little shot, and just hung on them a bit to get them to stand up. Just used to let the boats (yours and others) know where you are rather then location of a lost diver. If you need to make it more ridgid for flotation or signaling add some air at the surface.

A post I read just recently (can't remember if it was here or decostop) brought up a good point. If you are less then adept in the skill required to shoot a bag or smb, have your buddy work for his keep. One person hold the spool and tend the line, the other inflate and release. As the person that suggested this said, idealy everyone should have the skill if need be, but why not work together if you don't. Lot easier to keep your cool when you only have two things to do rather then four, and much better to get a successful deploy then to make a total cluster out of it. Plus if you both happen to get wound up, your buddy won't be able to make fun of you

Tonio Anastasi:
Thank you for that Willie. ... reflectors
You are welcome. The DAN SMB has radar reflective tape on it. Another plus.

One other suggestion, which others have also said, is to get a spool and practice deploying your SMB with it. I practice in very relaxed situations like a local dive site I am familiar with. There is a good video here as well as several other locations about how to do that. If you inflate by either exhaling or by exhausting gas from your BC, then the buoancy doesnt change making it easer to control your depth. But there are a number of opinions on that. You can probalby find a thorough discussion by searching the forums. I know I have read several.

In addition at least once per trip and usually twice, I will talk to the boat captain and DM ahead of time and let them know that I intend to do my safety stop under my SMB for practice.

Then I will deploy the bag at about 30' and reel it up to 15' or 20', wherever I intend to do the stop, and hang there as if I were out on my own. I will then reel it up which causes me to have a very slow ascent and is also very good practice. Dont expect the first few times to be pretty. But practice makes perfect.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom