What type of signaling device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to mention: Bring a hat!

I was actually left out off of WPB in Florida, and the sunburn really sucks. I imagine that a really long float would produce a really bad burn.

Terry

espantoon:
Thanks for the info, as usual SB is more than helpful! I dove Coz last year, and I'm not too worried about getting "lost at sea" as there were plenty of boats around. I was considering a "safety sausage" for added safety, as I was planning on a shore dive or two and thought that it would be good to have if needed. The choice I am trying to make now is the oral inflate type (for the surface), or the open end SMB style for deploying from depth as I ascend. I.m trying not to spend too much money, so that may be the deciding factor.

Well, if you want to cover all the exteme possibilities, I guess you could pull an inflatable raft on a reel, with drinking water, hat, radio, etc.

But as I mentioned earlier, a good cheap sausage is more than most carry there - but a minimim of a good idea. And I carry the other pieces I mentioned above.

Storm whistles are great. tried it out once and my ears rang for several minutes. If you are hard on catching breath you can put the end into a reg and purge it. One is tied to my bc right now. plus have one in spare parts.

I've seen some people put flares and water dye in waterproof cases.... that's paranoia to me unless you're going to be really out there in the middle of no where.

DandyDon:
Well, if you want to cover all the exteme possibilities, I guess you could pull an inflatable raft on a reel, with drinking water, hat, radio, etc.

But as I mentioned earlier, a good cheap sausage is more than most carry there - but a minimim of a good idea. And I carry the other pieces I mentioned above.

A hat is small and cheap and neutrally buoyant when wet.

If you're stuck hanging out on the open water for a while, you'll appreciate it.

Terry

scubawife:
There was a very experienced diver last year that was diving the C58 off of Cancun and ended up getting swept out by a freak current. I think it was about 10 hours and in a rain storm and rough seas into the night that he ended up drifting at sea. Helicopters and boats didn't spot him although he saw them. His safety sausage was useless. He ended up on the north shore of Isla Mujeres. In the latest issue of Undercurrent he said that after that experience he's added the marker dye to his gear for every dive. If you're familiar with the diving and the area it's easy to think anything more then the minimum is overkill. He thought that too.

Yes, but that was Cancun. The current there will sweep you out to sea, whereas the current along Cozumel would take you along the side of the island for several miles in a heavily traveled area. Best to have a safety sausage, though; you're a lot more likely to get run over than lost at sea.

If you're diving on the north end, some additional signaling gear would be appropriate, since the current there is outbound, but most Coz diving is done on the south and west of the island, and close to shore. The current there runs parallel to the shore.

Tonio Anastasi:
Why oral inflation? Are'nt there co2 inflation options. Like in the life jackets.
Like many recreational divers, he said "I.m trying not to spend too much money, so that may be the deciding factor." And the cheap oral inflate sausage is really pretty sufficient for the diving as described by The Honorable Ggunn. More than most use thre, but - all should.

Tonio Anastasi:
Why oral inflation? Are'nt there co2 inflation options. Like in the life jackets.

Personally, I'd be hesitent to carry something attached to me at depth that if something caught on it or pulled the wrong cord, or it malfunctioned, it would make me exceptionally buoyant and rushing towards the surface. (Ok, a BC fits the same description, but you can generally dump them faster than they can inflate, and you can pull the inflator hose).

I like my DAN sausage. 6 foot high, inflates using a regulator under it though a one-way valve on the bottom, also has a one-way oral inflator, and an overinflation/dump valve on it. Comes with the Wind Storm whistle, a light stick, and a signalling mirror.

Thanks for all the good advice! And of course Gordon, you are very honorable! I will raise a Leon in your honor by the pool! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom