What Torch to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with the Kraken NR-700 flaslight. It works great and it comes with a rechargeable battery so you save some money there. You can put regular batteries too if you want.

Hi again Darren, just to qualify my mention of Chinese torches, they are cheap and in my experience work well but don't expect them to last forever!

Thanks mate... a perfect reply as I now know. I got one on **** bay for $10 and it looks like it will last me a while so happy

I would also suggest getting a light that uses rechargeable batteries, like the 18650 or 26650. The downside of a built in rechargeable is that when the battery is done, so is the light. I keep a charged set of batteries in my repair kit so I can swap them out if necessary (I have occasionally found my lights left on in my kit between dives).

Not the cheapest available, but I like the Underwater Kinetics Aqualite Pro. Great beam for its size/weight, and the rechargeable battery (18650) cuts down on operating costs.

One concern with the cheaper models is that it is sometimes a pain to get the batteries in and out, and the same turn of the lens that turns them off will flood the light if you rotate it a little too far.

Good on you for researching first.

A light that floods when rotating to far to off is acceptable to me. That actually makes sense to me and is familiar to even non dive lights.

I purchased a Hollis led3 that was on sale without research or really looking at it. It is without a doubt the worst designed flashlight I have ever seen. It actually loosens to turn on.

I flooded it instantly... And what a bugger to fix. I understand Hollis may have repaired or replaced it without issue, but only with another of the same crappy designed lights. It should be thrown in the bin, but I keep ( and use it ) as a leeson to do my research b4 spending my money.

I've had a few lights, these are the two have lasted with no issues:

Volador - Cheap generic tailcap button dive light, as been with me on virtually every ocean dive as an emergency signalling device.

XTar D26 1100 lumens model - Great light with a side switch that naturally lays under you thumb and locks. It has multiple modes but is easy to work with.

I recently picked up two CX1s, but they have a specific purpose.

I got one of the Volador lights from Amazon fir$70. It uses 2x 18650 batteries. Very bright and a magnetic switch with 3 settings. 20+ dives on it so far, no problems. I'm not a cave/ tech diver though.....

Another vote for Big Blue.

Fine for general recreational use, and travel diving.
Rugged. Great output for their compact size.
From personal experience... Good customer service: Easy to contact, responsive, quick to solutions.

One feature I'd be on the look-out for: One-handed push-button on/off.

It's been interesting during twenty years of diving watching dive lights evolve.
When I think of the dim clunky bricks we used to take down...

It's going to be hard to get a definitive answer about which is best.
Lots of really good ones out there now, and everyone will recommend the ones they use.
It might be more informative to ask "What Torch Not to Buy?"

K.

Don't think I saw this recommendation, but it's got 400 dives in Seattle as primary and backup. 1000 Lumen Dive Light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom