What to Wear: Mexico in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erku

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've received some conflicting suggestions on this recently, so I thought I'd take it to the dedicated forum.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Mexico in January. We're both thick-skinned Canadians, and did our training in 5 degree C water in drysuits, so we have very little idea how much a wetsuit protects from the cold. Most of the areas we're looking at claim a january water temperature no lower than 21 degrees C, with averages somewhere around 23-26. To us, that seems very warm indeed! We have the additional problem that my wife hates being too hot, and if she has to spend any time suited up in the air, is likely to be pretty miserable in something too thick. For that reason I'm kind of leaning towards body suits in the 3/2 to 4/3 range, something that should offer comfort and protection without (I hope) being too hot nor too expensive.

Like I said, though, I've never really worn a wetsuit, nor have I ever been in waters that warm (except swimming pools). I'd love to hear thoughts from more experienced divers before I start shopping seriously.

A quick search brought up this chart which shows 26 C for an average Jan temp. I'd take a 5mm, but if you're worried about being too warm, the 3mm should do. For me, the 3mm might be OK in the ocean, but too cool for a visit to the cenotes.

Last edited:
I found that for me a 5mm was really needed with the repetitive dives in January in Cozumel but the person I was diving with was in a swim suit. Everyone is so different when it comes to temperature tolerance. I usually travel with both my 3mm and 5mm. I would also rather be warm and ventilate my suit to cool down than be cold and not be able to warm up. I am sure my answer is of no help but I guess that is because everyone is so different esp when it comes to water temps

Craig

Jan 08 in Coz, I was great in a 3/2, my partner cold in her 5/6. On subsequent days, she wore the 4mm hood I'd packed 'just in case.' Fellow diver in a bathing suit, instructor wearing 7mm farmer john + 7mm top -- he said being in the water 3 dives a day every day would have sucked the heat out of him.

Again, I was great in the 3/2 for day and night dives. Temp remarkably stable, no issues overheating while suiting up nor cooling down during shore-dives at night.

From a fellow Canadian, 3 mm would be fine. You can bring a hood in case you get chilled.
The head is where you lose most of your heat.
Last march I was cold in my 3 mm in the Cenotes, water temp 72 degrees, two two hour immersions every day, I finished my week with my dry suit.

I dove last February in a 5mm full wetsuit and it was perfect, especially after the dive and on our way back to land after the dive (everyone else was shivering but I was A-O-K) . I too worried about what to wear,thinking the 5mm would be too thick but I soon learned that a 5mm is perfect for tropical diving (water temp was around 80 F). However, watch out while on land as the suit is great in water but hot while waiting around to get into the water.

Cheer!
Corey

Thanks everyone :) We'll probably be going to Pacific Mexico depending on budget, but either way the advice is very good.

Pacific Mexico???

Well that certainly changes things a bit. It looks like most posts were assuming Cozumel, which would be warmer. Water temps on the Pacific side of Mexico are around 72 degrees or 22-23 C in January; With temps like that, a 5 M seems more appropriate and more comfortable, especially with repetitive diving over a course of a week.

I did Cozumel in February with my 3, but was only doing 2 dives/day. Also did the cenotes in the 3 and was perfectly fine. I probably would bring my hood next time. There was one woman also from the prairies that was diving in a 5, and was shivering all the time.

If you take the 5, you can always flood it to cool off. If you take a 3... take a hood for repetitive dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom