what to use as a line spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all. I have tried the wrapping technique and I had line aroung my head, reg, legs etc etc. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Dive safe.

I use the same system of wrapping 25-30' of 2mm cord around my sausage. I have a boltsnap on end of the line. To deploy, I simply pull the boltsnap out from under the wrapped line and let it drop. As it falls (obviously this need to be in water deeper than 40' or so) it strips the line off the sausage. I then orally inflate the sausage and let it go, letting the line slip through my circled fingers.
..snip..

Well that's a compromise because you only have 25-30'.
As others have commented I've found the ideal length to be around 100' so as to do the initial deployment at the start of the ascent while my depth is more stable.
Also I mainly deploy a sausage at the end of a drift so the boat (and other traffic) can see me. I certainly wouldn't care to have my line dragging across the reef ready to snag and jerk out of my hand.
So it's a case of horses for courses....

Please don't attach the bag or line to your BC for obvious reasons.

Pardon if this question sounds dumb. I can understand not attaching a deployed bag/line to the BC or while deploying, but; while it is rolled up and stored, where would you put it if not on/in the BC?

Pardon if this question sounds dumb. I can understand not attaching a deployed bag/line to the BC or while deploying, but; while it is rolled up and stored, where would you put it if not on/in the BC?

My comment was too short. You are correct. Stow it in a pocket or clip it off to a "D" ring when not in use.

Thanks for catching that.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom