what to use as a line spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm asking for suggestions on what to use as a reel for 15-20ft. of line to use with my safety sausage on a safety stop. I have in my mind a plastic carpenters chalk line box, and maybe even a flat spool like those used for flying kites.

Were you, I'd get a spool with at least 100 feet on it. You never know when you might need to shoot it from the bottom. I had wondered if 100 feet on a spool is too much line, but got some good advice from a few really smart divers who say 100 feet is a good amount.

Do not use a reel or spool. Just tie the line to the float, wrap the line tightly around the rolled-up sausage, and tie a bolt clip to the end of the line. Then tie a few elastic bands through the (round part of) bolt clip to secure the line around the sausage. Then clip to a D-ring...

I'm asking for suggestions on what to use as a reel for 15-20ft. of line to use with my safety sausage on a safety stop. I have in my mind a plastic carpenters chalk line box, and maybe even a flat spool like those used for flying kites.

This is one case where i don't think adaptation or innovation is worth the effort. I also agree with Randy43068 that this shouldn't be a unitasker and i'd go with more line. If he still has any left, you can get a 100' finger spool with a bolt snap from Northeast Scuba for $14 bucks and 160' for an extra buck. I was in there last week and he had a bunch of 75' foot spools for $10.

Do not use a reel or spool. Just tie the line to the float, wrap the line tightly around the rolled-up sausage, and tie a bolt clip to the end of the line. Then tie a few elastic bands through the (round part of) bolt clip to secure the line around the sausage. Then clip to a D-ring...

Please don't attach the bag or line to your BC for obvious reasons.

So how does one gather up the line safely while surfacing?

There is a reason spools are used.

I agree - not using a spool is a tangle waiting to happen. Finger spools are inexpensive and easy to use, so it's hard to justify not using one.

So you have to unwrap all the line before inflating?
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

So you have to unwrap all the line before inflating?
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
I use the same system of wrapping 25-30' of 2mm cord around my sausage. I have a boltsnap on end of the line. To deploy, I simply pull the boltsnap out from under the wrapped line and let it drop. As it falls (obviously this need to be in water deeper than 40' or so) it strips the line off the sausage. I then orally inflate the sausage and let it go, letting the line slip through my circled fingers.

Although it sounds like the line would be a problem when surfacing, in practice it just takes a few seconds while the boat approaches to partially deflate the sausage, fold it over double, and wrap the line back around it, making an overhand knot with the last turn so the line doesn't spool back off when I hand the sausage up to the boat crew.

Alternatively, if I spend much time doing the final ascent I simply wrap the cord up around the boltsnap -- ending up with a ball of cord about 1" in diameter. While using this method I arrive at the surface with no line to handle, it is a bit tedious unwrapping the zillion turns during the SI, so more often I use the "wrap around the partially inflated sausage upon surfacing" method.

The 4x44" sausage, 30' of 2mm cord, and the boltsnap roll up into a compact cylinder 5" wide and 2 or 3" diameter and fits very easily into my BCD pocket. So handily in fact, that it resides there permanently and is with my on each and every dive.
40940d1193009284-what-use-line-spool-4-x-44-sausage-cord.jpg

Back
Top Bottom