What to Take on my Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I mention using it on a very easy, shallow dive? I have now! :cool:

Do you recommend carrying your own safety tube in case you get separated from your group?

I heard there are strong currents in some areas of Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen.
Do you recommend whistle or any other safety gear,

Thank-you,
tselios

Do you recommend carrying your own safety tube in case you get separated from your group?

I heard there are strong currents in some areas of Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen.

Thank-you,
tselios

I don't think the currents are generally all that strong, but I would never go on any OW dive without a DSMB and a whistle. I also consider a knife and shears mandatory.

Thank-you,
tselios
Personally, I cannot imagine going into the ocean or even a large lake without a SMB. I know some do, but I never have. I also carry a dive light day or night, Storm whistle, inline air horn, mirror and camera flash. I want to make sure I can be found...!!

Why on earth would anyone recommend taking your own kit and renting for a dive - talk about false economy - someone will have to explain the logic to me.

I take all my own kit, paying for an extra bag is still cheaper than renting.

I don't get off a boat without an SMB. To me, that's basic safety gear for any situation where you can't easily swim yourself to shore.

I travel with all of my own gear, because I like my own gear and I'm very comfortable with how all of it works. However, if I were making a trip where I was only going to do a single dive in two weeks, or something of that sort (can't imagine that kind of trip, honestly :) ), I might rent everything but things that really need to fit to work at all, like a mask and a wetsuit.

I travel with all of my own gear, because I like my own gear and I'm very comfortable with how all of it works. However, if I were making a trip where I was only going to do a single dive in two weeks, or something of that sort (can't imagine that kind of trip, honestly :) ),
:lol:​
I don't take my gear on trips with my kids, other than snorkel gear if there's a lake. Last trip was Grand Canyon and 6 other NPs, but none with water we could swim in. Montezuma's Well did look interesting tho. :eyebrow:
I might rent everything but things that really need to fit to work at all, like a mask and a wetsuit.
For even one dive, I'd still want my reg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom