What to take and who to dive with in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripbearer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going on a trip to Cozumel Aug 16-Aug 22. I planned on diving with Dive Paradise since them come so recommended by a few of our friends who dive there often.

1) Taking for sure UW Camera, Mask, Fins, Snorkel
2) Will I need to take my 3mm wetsuit?
3) Should I take my own regulator with dive computer, bc too?

DP has a $12 a day for all equiment. They use Mares BCs and Sherwood regulators.

If you have another outfit I may want to consider let me know. I'm staying in the Northern Hotel Zone at the Coral Princess, and DP does not pick up from there, so its a $8 taxi ride to the shop. Pepe Scuba is the local dive shop at the hotel. But I can't find anything good or bad about them which concerns me.

Loaded questions but here is my 2 cents:

Take your own gear... It's not a hassle and hey its your stuff you know, dive it.

Check out Aqua Safari... They are excellent, IMHO and here we go, and save the bucks travelling to DP... I though DP was a good, safe dive shop I just didnt like the nickle and dime hassles that required me to carry cash to the store each day... Take my CC and we can settle up at the end...

A 3mm shorty will be good this time of year depending on how cold you get and how many dives you plan to do each day...

Most of all, go have fun and enjoy the trip...

Does Aqua Safari pick up at the northern zone? With the added fees of baggage. I have 3 family divers. So 3 big bags, and 3 regulator bags for carry ons. 25 bucks for the first bag(clothes) and then $15(equipment) for the 2nd bag and $15 for 3rd bag (reg?). Thats a lot of diving

Dont have a 3mm shorty for me and the 3 kids. We only have 3mm full suits. Will they be too warm? Leave em at home?

How you take to the water depends on weather or not to take the suits. Personally, I usually dive swim trunks and t-shirt this time of year, but that is just me. You can take the full suits and just peel them down to the waist during the surface interval. Also, the suits are something you can consider renting there.

If you take any of your gear, make it the regs and computers. Those are your main life support tools, so you want to make sure they are in good working order and that you are familiar with them.

Most of my diving has been south of town, so I cannot really recommend any ops for you. However, when it comes to food... If you get the chance to dine in town, be sure to go by Prima. Lobsteria is another great place.

Agreed on this is a loaded question.

I prefer a full suit to stop any floating stinging things in the shallow water 20-10ft and against accidently rubbing against something.
3mm becomes useful for dives over 40 minutes for the hour mark they are great.
Bring a hood or a beanie. Just tried out the BARE cap and it worked great in June.
Surf shirts are a great way to use less sunscreen while diving.
Please watch for the sun, burns happen easily; please consider a hat.

As stated before bring what you own; at minimum your computer, dive watch and regulators.
You need to understand the computers algorithm is it liberal or conservative and what you want from your profiles.
Do your safety stops! Follow the Dm by all means; but make your own ascent rate and safety stops.
If you have a regulator then bring it; since you are used to its performance. Not to mention it’s what you breathe off of.
If not bringing the regulator then at a minimum bring a mouthpiece and zip ties. Trim the zip ties with a nail clipper- that stops sharp edges.

With the current trend more divers are buying their dive gear specifically around traveling; if that is your true desire for diving then head that way.
I will be replacing my stainless backpack for my next dive trip.

Just as a thought- consider a soft side fabric lunch box. Prep the camera in the room, put a damp a towel in the lunch bag and put the camera into the lunch bag.
It will stay damp and protected. Mine sits on the bench next to me and then under the seat while I dive. Also hand the DM the camera while you step in.
I tend to hop right behind the boat, come up and reach up for the camera. Remember the boat will be floating away from you.
Then I slowly submerge the camera and look for leaks; once good I clip it off and sink.
Just as a humble suggestion- put a simple carbineer on your cameras lanyard. That way you have a simple attachment point for your BC if you need both hands.

Have fun and learn as you go. The boat crews have always been great and very helpful. They want you to have a great time!
Have to say- Cozumel is additive; you have been warned.

Can’t comment on being north we always stay south.
Good luck and have fun, Andrew

I haven't dove with any outfits in Coz except Deep Exposure http://www.deepexposuredivecenter.com. They are awesome and they'll pick you up at the dock at your hotel. You won't have to take a taxi and you won't have to bring lunch either. They provide an awesome lunch onboard. The owners rock and the DMs and Capt are incredible. You won't find a better outfit to dive with anywhere. One other great thing about them is that they don't call it quits after 30-40 minutes. They go up when you're down to your minimum psi in your tank. Zinc and I did two 60+ minute dives with them. They don't worry about rushing back to the dock for a second trip...they only run one charter a day.

While I haven't had much experience with other dive boats in Coz I do have plenty of experience with other dive boats in many other locations. I've been on some good ones, but Deep Exposure is the best...hands down.

Bring your 3mm suits. 60 minutes is a long time even in warm water. It'll protect you from sharp and stingy thing in the water too.

Deep Exposure has quality gear to rent, but I don't know about their regs. I don't travel anywhere without all the necessary gear (except tanks). It's not worth the risk. I suggest wheeled luggage and porters. The wheeled luggage is convenient and the porters are cheap. :wink:

Does Aqua Safari pick up at the northern zone? With the added fees of baggage. I have 3 family divers. So 3 big bags, and 3 regulator bags for carry ons. 25 bucks for the first bag(clothes) and then $15(equipment) for the 2nd bag and $15 for 3rd bag (reg?). Thats a lot of diving

Dont have a 3mm shorty for me and the 3 kids. We only have 3mm full suits. Will they be too warm? Leave em at home?

That really is a lot of bags to carry and you have to times that by 3 on the expense. You may do better just renting down there. I have dove Dive Paradise on numerous occassions and just love their boats and service. If you are looking at pick up at your hotel make sure you get confirmation in writing/email, etc. that they pick up there. The Coral Princess is pretty far North and I would double check that any operator picks up there. If it were me I would rent a car or jeep while I was on the island. It's a lot easier on you and then you don't have to worry about cabs all the time. Also DP ( Dive Paradise) has plenty of boats, and they offer night dives regularly. They have three different styles of diving on their boats depending on your time constraints, skill level, and dive location requests. If you want to dive on the South End where the better part of the reef is you need to pick small fast boats. If you are looking for more comfort, including lunch and a discounted afternoon dive, pick their standard boat trip. Experienced Diver Profile dives will get you on boats with only 2 or 4 people and you can dive your computer ( must have 50 logged dives). Most or all dive shops will have a park fee about $2 or $3 a day, and possibly a chamber subsidy fee $ 1 or $2 a day. As for me I dive my full 3mm. Keeps me warm after multiple dives and no stingy things get me. I guess if you are planning diving 5 days with 3 or more dives a day I woudl say bring all your own gear. If you are only planning 1, 2 or 3 days of diving then maybe you should think about renting.

Christi with Blue XTSea will pick you up.

I just carted all of my own gear. Carried on regs, checked everything else. BC included a OMS with Aluminum backplate and STA with wet suit bag weighed 43lbs.

TwoBit

I think the farthest north Christi picks up is the downtown pier..I think Pepe's is the only one that picks up on the North end but something could have changed...better to go to the downtown pier or the Caletta for pick up..itis a long boat ride to the southern sites

I would definitely take my own reg and dive computer. As for a BCD, unless you have your BCD rigged with Air 2 (which replaces the need for an Octo), I would just rent a BC there, which will cut down considerable on the weight of your gear bags to lug around when traveling. Besides, if you've mastered your bouyancy your own lungs are your primary BCD, right? Most rental BCD's are sufficient, just check it out before even boarding the boat.

With the water temps in Coz this time of year, a 3 mil might be overkill. You're looking at mid 80's for water temps (nearly bath tub temps for me). Have you considered a full rash? Very inexpensive on-line. My point being, I do agree with everyone that you might want some arm and leg protection from "stingy things". We are all different, but I'm a bit cold-natured and from June through August I'll dive in just swim trunks and a tee shirt in dive locales from Key Largo to Cozumel. We dive both sites at least once a year. I'm real big on logging water temps, not just mine but other divers to get an average. Not having to pack a BCD and a thick wetsuit will considerable lighten your gear bag. However, and this is assuming it's your first trip to Coz, if you have any doubts...bring all your gear. You can always adjust your gear packing for your next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom