What to look for in used regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If this is the wrong forum, please move. I’m looking for my first reg set. Probably going to buy used then have it serviced at the local shop. What do I need to look for to ensure I’m not getting garbage? I’ve read about higher end regs being easier to breathe through, and also about some being unable to get parts for. Is there a guide somewhere to purchasing a used reg set?

I'm researching buying used dive gear at the moment. Scored a very nice dive computer for 40 dollars. If it's clean with no scratches then you know the previous owner has rinsed it after use. What type of regulators do you have in mind? I'm looking at buying Apeks.

If this is the wrong forum, please move. I’m looking for my first reg set. Probably going to buy used then have it serviced at the local shop. What do I need to look for to ensure I’m not getting garbage? I’ve read about higher end regs being easier to breathe through, and also about some being unable to get parts for. Is there a guide somewhere to purchasing a used reg set?
  • Find out how much you're going to pay for servicing the regs - add that to the price of the used ones and figure out if it makes sense to buy used.
  • Availability of service and service kits
Other than that, consider the general wear and tear on the regs. Regs that look like they were dragged behind a truck on the outside may look the same on the inside, but you never know. I've had regs that looked clean from the outside that had water in them or that were assembled improperly.

You are really just rolling the dice any time you get someone's used stuff, especially when you're buying it from someone you don't know. . . But everything's repairable for the right price.

Why do you want to buy used?

What type of diving do you want to do?

Nearly anything breathes well shallow. High-performance regs breathe well deep. Even on Trimix, the density is a factor. The good news is if you go inexpensive now, you'll already own your first deco reg when the time comes to upgrade.

Why do you want to buy used?

What type of diving do you want to do?
Because used regulators seem to be 1/4 the cost of new. Recreation diving in cold freshwater as well as the occasional warm trip to the Caribbean and the like.

Because used regulators seem to be 1/4 the cost of new. Recreation diving in cold freshwater as well as the occasional warm trip to the Caribbean and the like.

Look at brand new DGX, HOG, or Deep6 regulators. They're great value and breathe really well. Besides, these companies offer rebuild kits and manuals if you choose to rebuild your regs at some point. Given the price ranges for these regs, there is no need to go used or pay astronomical amounts for Apex or Scubapro.

Here is the thing about used regs: Unless you rebuild regs, you're buying black boxes and you will have to spend some money. Good service is not cheap, so you may save only a few bucks. Also, service takes time, but you can get any of the regs mentioned above delivered to your front door within 2-3 days.

1. What brands can you service / can be serviced locally?
2. Suitably for purpose- balanced (yes), cold water (yes), sealed?
3. Flow rates- not an issue for shallow dives, but if you go deep it’ll be important
4. Ports - numbers and location. For OW rec diving, generally not a concern
5. DIN or yoke?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom