What to look for in a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someone is offereing to sell me one for $30. A DUI drysuit size Medium. He says the only problem with it is that one of the rubber cuffs needs to be replaced. Any advice?

Fit and keeping the water out is the 2 major points for me. Your challenge will be to determine if there are any leaks in the suit and if the zip is in working order. The price @ $30 smell fishy from across the Atlantic!!

I looked up the type-it is camo...not sure about that...I don't really need a dry suit...and sure don't need to be camo'd. You get a lot of military in the area that need money and are heading out so it does sound good but he also sold his regulator for 30 and offered me his jets for $25....

The Jets would be a good buy. Do they have the spring straps?

I would buy it. If it turns out to be junk, you are only out $30, but if it is mostly in good shape (especially the zipper), you can probably replace the seals and patch any holes for a few hundred...still a great deal.

I would buy the jets too, even if they don't fit :)

Can you post a picture of the suit and a close up of the zipper? $30 is extremely low, but maybe they just want to get rid of it. Additional steps: Try it on. It needs to have room for the underwear. With a bad seal (which can be easily replaced) it would be hard to leak check. Check the suit material for wear. If the suit material looks good everywhere and the zipper looks good everything else is easy to fix. If both of those are good and you don't want it -- I'd be happy to buy it.

As said, you can't really fix fit. You can fix most leaks (unless material is delaminating) and seals are an easy fix. Zipper is more complicated and/or expensive, but if the suit is in good shape and you have to pay for a zipper, it's still a good deal at $30.

The one thing I would check is to try to ascertain if the suit is actually his or if it was stolen. $30 is a ridiculously low price for any functional dry suit, but a thief might not know that.

If it not stolen, buy it. Even if it does not fit, you can turn around and sell it for much more than that as along as the zipper is good.

For 30$ you can't do anything wrong - worst case, you resell it for 100$ plus :wink:. But seriously, the vendor seems not to be aware of wha a drysuit costs.

As regards points to check: overall condition, any leaks, the zipper, the purge. If all is fine, then you buy at no risk ( if the size don't suit, you resell). If a few of the above points are not fine, you need to evaluate, but still it is a good deal.

Cuffs a PITA to change but doable by anyone

If I can change my dry suit cuffs, then so can you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom