What to look for in a decent pony system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

george1098

Reaction score
Hi all
i'm thinking of picking up a pony system to use for an under-ice training course that i am taking this winter. I dive a recular BCD with a 100cu.ft steel tank. Just wondering if someone could tell me what to look for in a good pony system. thanks!

For descent, anything will do. For the ascents, now that's where you really want something decent
:)

(Sorry, cheap joke, but couldn't resist)

It really depends on what you are using it for. I use a 19 cu ft pony with a Scubapro MK2 1st stage and a Scupapro R390 2rd stage for just in case types of situations. If you are planning on using it for a deco bottle than you need something bigger. You probably already know this, but make sure the 1st and 2nd stage you put on your pony are designed for icy/extreme cold conditions. My 19 cut ft pont is plenty of air to get me up from say 100 fsw at a safe ascent with even a safety stop. It depends on how you breath (slow or like a hoover) and what you are going to use it for that makes the biggest difference when looking at buying a pony.

I used a 19 for a while but have since upgraded to a 40 with scubapro MK17 S600. Looking at about a $550 investment though with that setup.

I'd seriously consider the Zeagle and H2Oydessy regs.

It's a 1st stage that is integrated into the tank valve. This means you don't have a yoke knob hanging out or a tank valve knob hanging out.

Less clutter and less likely to cause a snag on something since they don't have those big knobs sticking out. Just a little more streamlined. You can get any size tank on either and any length of hose and of course customize each with swivels or gauges as needed.

On the occasion that I use a pony setup, I use an 27 cf AL bottle starapped upside down to my main (usually a HP 120 cf). I find that for recreation diving it's been more than adequate. For a clamping system I'm currently using the Northern Diver's Cylinder Clamp System. It's easy & convenient. It's also a bit pricey.
Northern Diver - Cylinders and Fittings

If I were starting over today, I'd consider using rigid bands.
Also, since I consider my pony bottlle to be my life support and not an octo., I use the same regulator I use as my primary. In my case, these are Apeks ATX 200's. This setup also contains an SPG and backup computer.

Good Luck with your setup & happy diving.

thanks guys
i'm thinking i will either go with a 20 cuft aluminum tank with a SP MK2/r190, or one of the zeagle set ups. I like how the SP regs have a lifetime warrantee, so i may go in that direction.

i'm thinking of picking up a pony system to use for an under-ice training course that i am taking this winter. I dive a recular BCD with a 100cu.ft steel tank.
There are a number of SB threads on ponys, so don't limit your data gathering to your thread alone. I am not aware of unique considerations for a pony in ice diving, beyond the cold water regulator issues already noted (but would love to learn if others have some). For versatility, many prefer to go with a bigger pony (30 or 40 CF), but those bottles are generally 'slung' under an arm, rather than tank-mounted. If your BC has D-rings (e.g. a Zeagle Ranger) that approach works great. If not, a smaller pony that can be tank mounted if probably easier to deal with.

thanks guys
i'm thinking i will either go with a 20 cuft aluminum tank with a SP MK2/r190, or one of the zeagle set ups. I like how the SP regs have a lifetime warrantee, so i may go in that direction.

The Zeagle regs have a lifetime parts replacement program as well. I personally would recommend the Zeagle over the H2Oddysey version, because the H2Oddysey reg doesn't have additional ports on it. I know it's just for a pony bottle right now, but I personally like the option of having something else in those ports if needed. My instructor uses one on his al40 sling tank, and it breathes really nicely, so nice that he and I have been discussing changing his rental program to al80's with the Zeagle regs already installed in them, and BC's already strapped to the tank. So students just have to walk in, specify their BC size and walk out with a setup ready to go.

How do you guys feel about submersible pressure guages on the pony? it certainly makes sense to have one, but everyone who dives with a pony that I know doesn't use a SPG.

Back
Top Bottom