What to look for in a decent pony system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I guess it depends if you are using it for a pony or a stage. If it's going to be a stage, then absolutely but a pressure gauge on it, something that you can read easily. If it's a pony bottle, who cares, just make sure it's full before the dive, or maybe put on a little button gauge.

I think the reasoning behind no SPG if it is being used as a backup and not as a stage bottle is that the only time you will be using it is in the event of an emergency and at that point your dive will be turned. You either have enough gas to safely get out or ascend or you don't. If you don't, the SPG would only tell you how quick your demise is coming.

Miranda

*sent fromPalm please excuse any formatting issues

I personaly have an SPG on my pony, and I like having a good confirmation that its still full. I've never had to use it in an emergency, but somehow knowing (and confirming with the gauge) that I have enough for a safety stop and for a slow ascent seems like a good thing to keep the stress down (in an already stressfull situation)

My vote is for a button gauge on the regulator. A quick verification of tank pressure and that the gauge is not frozen at the beginning of the dive.

Ron

My vote is for a button gauge on the regulator. A quick verification of tank pressure and that the gauge is not frozen at the beginning of the dive.

Ron

I can agree with this, but still respect that some people want a full size gauge on perhaps a short hose.

However, I think some of the button gauges are hard to read.

The "lug nut" ones seems like it might be a little harder to read, so if I was going to buy one, I'd look at the one H2Oyssey makes (regardles of what 1st stage you have). there's is lower profile and seems easier to read. I think there are some other branded labels also of the h2odyssey gauge.

Reference:

H2odyssey gauge.
acc243L_th.jpg

Pony "lug nut" gauge:
minispg.jpg

I like the idea of a button guage. It deffinately makes sense to put a guage on the pony bottle,but having a full sezed one floating around might be a little annoying. Here's another question. Do you guys empty and refill you ponies on any kinf of a schedual? lets say you dive with a pony all the time, but you have never had to use it. would you just keep it full? or empty it and refill it say, once a season if you never have to use it.

My SPG is on a 6 inch hose on a sling'd pony and it lays flat on the tank, nothing floating around. As for refilling it, its a 30 and since my most aggressive dive could be done with a 19, I practice deploying it and breathing from it a few minutes in most dives, when it gets about 2000psi (around 20cu left) I just get it refilled. Practice is very important from what I've been told. You want to know instinctively what to do if you have a major OOA situation.

Should probably edit the "major" in my last reply as that there should never be a "minor" OOA...

Just keep in mind, if you "tank mount" your pony, you completely lose sight of the "lug nut" style spg. I prefer the conventional spg. It's gives me options.

I like the idea of a button guage. It deffinately makes sense to put a guage on the pony bottle,but having a full sezed one floating around might be a little annoying. Here's another question. Do you guys empty and refill you ponies on any kinf of a schedual? lets say you dive with a pony all the time, but you have never had to use it. would you just keep it full? or empty it and refill it say, once a season if you never have to use it.

A pony bottle is a pressurized gas cylinder and should be treated as such. Have it visually inspected once a year and the air in it will be changed out, at a minimum, once a year.

Originally bail out bottles were checked before each dive using a pressure gauge on a standard yoke, you will see them sometimes at SCUBA shops by the fill station. A submersable pressure gage on a hose of any length is just one more hose to tangle, burst and replace. The button type pressure gage is meant to be viewed on the surface to verify that the backup cylinder is full and you do not need to check it again during the dive, unless you are in the "open at the bottle" group and then you might have a possability for leakage. Otherwise, what are you going to do if your backup is empty after you enter the water, swim to the nearest fill station? I don't see the need to check my bail out cylinder during a dive.

I dive with the backup system hose from first stage regulator to second stage regulater charged, but the cylinder valve is closed until needed. Just remember to drill at opening the cylinder for an out of air situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom