what to learn next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
L

lcatahan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm at 40 dives, PADI AOW certified, and at the stage where I realize how much I don't know that I don't know.

I work in a highly technical, safety-first field and I would like to work towards the same degree of expertise and comfort under stress while diving. I had the same instructor for OW and AOW and she was fantastic, but I felt the training was aimed at new divers, follow-the-DM with your buddy style diving.

My question is what more advanced courses should I be looking at? I've been reading the threads in the knowledge base forum on most frightening moments and panic, and I liked the safety cone described by Thalassamania. Beyond more diving, how can I best gain the knowledge and heuristics to deepen and widen my cone? My ultimate goal is self dependence, whether diving solo or in a group. I'm in the San Diego area if anyone has specific recommendations.

Thanks in Advance,
LC

I wish more divers came out of AOW with that......
Man, I came out of being an international training director knowing there are so many dives beyond my experience, equipment, comfort, and knowledge.

I agree completely that nitrox should be a high priority. You can take a class without the need for dives which is great for divers in northern climes when it's too cold to dive. Also, if you have a chance to do multiple dives a day on consecutive days you'll appreciate the nitrox cert. Nitrox will enable you to dive more (depending on the profile(s)).

I agree completely that nitrox should be a high priority. You can take a class without the need for dives which is great for divers in northern climes when it's too cold to dive. Also, if you have a chance to do multiple dives a day on consecutive days you'll appreciate the nitrox cert. Nitrox will enable you to dive more (depending on the profile(s)).

To cold to dive, what's that nonsense.

For all those recommending a tech instructor. I recommend AGAINST a particular local tech instructor who got himself and his student bent during a Tech 45 class.

And you all know what I'd recommend, but just this once, I'll refrain, as many people think my recommendation always makes sure that fun dies. :wink::oops::yeahbaby:

How does the OP really sort through a solid instructor from a mediocre one. While I think the OP liked their OW/AOW instructor personally, the comment about "follow the DM" training does give me cause for concern. The fact that the OP made that realization is positive. It took me a lot longer to realize how bad my training was. It was when the fun dies (died) that I realized it.

Rescue Certification and then Dive as much as you can. Nothing builds confidence and experience other than doing it. Rescue was a favorite of mine and challenged me a lot (as did the DM program). Dive in as many conditions as you have access to and learn from each one.

Kosta, I almost did the same.

It is kind of funny that the fun never died when divers would complete NACD and NSS-CDS cavern or intro courses, or cave divers and cave instructors would be on dive boats prior to the late 1990s. I'm always hesitant about recommending training through GUE or UTD to open water divers who might otherwise enjoy an amazing undersea life without religion.

I realize for most divers, an instructor who is a cave instructor or cave diver is often able to teach recreational divers improved trim, buoyancy, and some propulsion techniques with a more open mind since they may kit up in sidemount or something besides the BP&W. So, I've been recommending cave divers regardless of agency.

You and I are standing on the corner and someone comes up to us and asks where they can get a really good lunch, and we have to think about whether or not we should mention that the cafeteria in the Church of Scientology actually serves the best Reuben in town.

Kosta, I almost did the same.

It is kind of funny that the fun never died when divers would complete NACD and NSS-CDS cavern or intro courses, or cave divers and cave instructors would be on dive boats prior to the late 1990s. I'm always hesitant about recommending training through GUE or UTD to open water divers who might otherwise enjoy an amazing undersea life without religion.
Fair point. That's why I like to also pass on the advice that I received "You don't have to drink the Kool Aid, just go for the skills." Go back to split fins and a jacket style BCD if you like. The skills will be there.
I realize for most divers, an instructor who is a cave instructor or cave diver is often able to teach recreational divers improved trim, buoyancy, and some propulsion techniques with a more open mind since they may kit up in sidemount or something besides the BP&W. So, I've been recommending cave divers regardless of agency.
Good point.
You and I are standing on the corner and someone comes up to us and asks where they can get a really good lunch, and we have to think about whether or not we should mention that the cafeteria in the Church of Scientology actually serves the best Reuben in town.
Now that is gold! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm always hesitant about recommending training through GUE or UTD to open water divers who might otherwise enjoy an amazing undersea life without religion.
You know, a practical point off that...if I recall correctly from what others have written, GUE Fundamentals has specific gear requirements, and are a bit picky about it. I believe you'd need to be diving a Backplate/Wing setup with a single continuous piece of webbing for your harness (if I'm wrong, somebody please correct), for example.

It's not a course where you just show up in whatever you already use and they'll work around that. They have an established way of doing things.

You know, a practical point off that...if I recall correctly from what others have written, GUE Fundamentals has specific gear requirements, and are a bit picky about it. I believe you'd need to be diving a Backplate/Wing setup with a single continuous piece of webbing for your harness (if I'm wrong, somebody please correct), for example.

It's not a course where you just show up in whatever you already use and they'll work around that. They have an established way of doing things.
UTD & GUE have workshops without the gear requirements. But the certification courses do require specific equipment to be worn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom